1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Warning Event Notification

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gc4x4, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gc4x4

gc4x4 Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is a) hardware problem, b)software problem or c) some sort of malicious software problem, but rather than cross-post, would ask a moderator to let me know if there is a better forum for this post.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Computer: Dell Optiplex GX270
    Operating System:Windows XP Professional

Problem Description:
    There is a pop-up window that occurs randomly and frequently that is
    titled "Warning Event Notification" and the text of the pop-up is as
    follows:

"Disk free space has dropped below the minimum threshold. Free
    up space on your hard disk drive by:
    1. Backing up your data to a tape backup ZIP or network drive.
    2. Delete unused files.
    If you are unsure which files are safe to move or delete contact your
    Help Desk or consult your software manuals. "

On the left side of the pop-up is a graphics area with Dell's logo and a large circle enclosing an "M".

The only response to the pop-up is to close it. This computer has a 120gb C drive that has only 10% used. I am current on Norton's 2004 Internet Security and Anti-virus updates and ran an anti-virus scan in safe mode last night.

Dell tech support doesn't have a clue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Try turning off the Messenger service and see if you still get the popups.

Right click on MyComputer and then select "Manage". Now in the Right pane double left click on "Services and Applications". Now double left click again on "Services". Scroll down and locate "Messenger" and double left click on it. Now under "Startup Type" set it to "Disabled". Restart Windows XP and let us know what happens ....

3. gc4x4

gc4x4 Thread Starter

Hi Bryan,
    thanks for the quick response.

Message Service is off, and has been disabled for some time.

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Can you possibly save an image of the message and post it here so we can see it?

I'd also like to see what's running at startup, since you said "Dell" was in the message box then that leads me to believe the message is being triggered my some sort of Dell program. If so, I suspect we'll see it loading at startup. Can you post a HiJackThis log? If you goto the thread below, the second post tells you how to get HiJackThis and how to post it to a reply here. Be sure you post it to this thread and not the one below.

http://forums.techguy.org/t271300.html

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Also, if you double left click on MyComputer, then Right click on the harddrive and select "Disk Cleanup", how much space does it say you'll save running cleanup?

6. gc4x4

gc4x4 Thread Starter

Bryan,
    thank you for your level of interest and jumping in to help.
    I found the answer.
    It was pretty obscure, and it was a Dell-related software problem. In fact, six of the seven Dell telephone support tech people that I talked to did not have a clue as to what was going on. Dell has a network management software product called OMCI (something like Open Manage Client Interface) which is used if a computer is part of a networked environment. The "no disk space" error was being generated by a corrupted component in OMCI. Uninstall OMCI and the error message goes away.
    The one Dell tech person that actually tipped me off was the guy that asked me if the computer with the problem was a server. We were watching the performance stats using Windows Task Monitor when the pop-up occurred. All of the usage numbers were small percentages of the available resources at that moment.
    Once we had an idea of what was causing the error, it just became a case of find a matching problem in the Dell archives to get an answer.

Again, Thanks for your help.

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Your welcome, glad to hear you're ok now ...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice