WARNING I got something worse then a Virus.!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RedRebel

I downloaded a Demo called spamfighter. It seemed to work ok but it just puts the files in a special folder. I let the time run out and tried to delete it.
I used add remove because it didn't have an Un Installer. To my amazement it connected to the webb and asked me why I didn't want it. I tried to tell them I didn't need it and could find no place to click to erase it. I left the site. Itied several times to remive it, and always ended up on the webb.
I persisted in erasing all the files associated with it and could not erase a file called Proxy.dll, It always comes up access denied so I renamed it Fart.sssss!
How ever since then I can not get email or any webb pages when connected to the webb. What can i do? I'm running XP Home edition!! :(

Sounds like a nasty bit of software if it does that to your pc.
First I would run anti virus then spyware like spybot and ad-aware, these are good spyware killers not like what you downloaded.

Before you do anything make a restore point so at least you can get back.

Then go to START>RUN>type MSCONFIG then go to the startup tab and uncheck it if it is there.

Then I would look for any registry entries do this>

start>run> type regedit>go to the edit tab>select find> then type in the name of that file, delete all found files>.

WARNING**** make a backup of any file you delete from the registry, just in case you damage the registry.

Reboot and see what happens, If you still have the prob you may need to repair your registry and windows xp.

to repair registry go here

To repair xp go here or do this>

How to go about Repairing Windows XP
1. Put your Windows XP Install CD into your CD-ROM drive.
2. Reboot your computer.
3. Let your system boot off of the CD.
4. Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.
5. When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.
6. Press F8 to agree to the End User License.
7. Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.
8. When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

This is the part that might make you nervous . The Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

Don't worry, your user data is still intact. Nothing has been lost, nothing has been deleted. Your data is safe, just the OS has been repaired, so relax.

There is nothing to worry about as long as you follow the steps to repairing Windows XP.

hat should keep you busy...good luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online