1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

warning message on windows startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zeiv, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeiv

zeiv Thread Starter

I have winXP pro , and when I start them after I see desktop, I get warning message, telling me that my computer is unsafe, that someone else can see my files, and to follow remove instruction. Link forwards me to a web page with "antispyware software", but problem is still there. I've noticed that this is a screen that appears over my desktop and I'm unable to move it or tu turn it down. Task manager shows no application running.
    Tryed Spybot and adaware, and Norton, but nothing shows up.
    Right clicked source on the screen, found out that directs to windows/desktop.html. Erased the file, but now overlying screen is blinking and the situation is the same.
    Help?
    Ideas?
    Solution?

Thanks

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi zeiv

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Did Ad-Aware SE, Spybot-S&D or Norton find anything that they could not clean or remove?

Download HijackThis (ver 1.99)

Unzip or Install HijackThis to a FOLDER on your C or main harddrive, do NOT install HijackThis to a temporary directory.
    This will allow HijackThis to properly create backup files.

Start HijackThis
    Click on Do a system scan and save a logfile.
    Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Close HijackThis and post your logfile here and one of our security experts will take a look at it.

3. zeiv

zeiv Thread Starter

Thanks for a quick reply.
    Friend of mine took computer back, so I can't get Hijack log file.
    I did Spybot, Adaware and Norton. There were many problems (spyware, dialers and stuff), but i cleaned it up. Last was DOSexploit, but I found remedy on this forum, and it worked. After all this I got this overlying screen, which covers desktop and telling me about security warning considering that someone else can see my files, and stuff like that, and it has a link that says Removal instruction, which leads to a web page advertising some spyware programs, and in a status bar i saw that it trying to connect to some sex pages, which i terminated instantly. Run all checks again, but it was clean.
    I can try to call this friend to see if he is willing for another test, and to try get a Hijack log file.
    Do you have any ideas of what it could be?
    There were no apps running (checked).
    Have you heard of this before?

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

EAFiedler is on target and what you described is crudware, the only way to fix it is to see the HJT log

Make sure that you AdAware version is the SE version

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!