1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

warning message

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by nahatche, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nahatche

nahatche Thread Starter

Sometimes when I try to shut my computor down I get an error message that says "warning your system is low on resources" and has to be shut off by hand other than the usual manner. Does anyone know what might cause this?:confused:

2. beach51

beach51

Hi nahatche,how many programs do you have running at startup.Go to start>run>type in msinfo32 click ok.Click on the + sign next to software environment,click startup programs,click edit,select all,edit ,copy and paste the page back here.

3. nahatche

nahatche Thread Starter

I got your reply beach51. I did everything you said to do, but could not figure out how to paste the page after I copied it. Anyway here is what it said.swinzip quick,aim,scan registry,task monitor,system tray,load power pr,em exec,quicken seme,bill minder,incredimail,critical update,load power pr,scheduling ag,enc monitor. Can you tell me how to paste. I did not see that option? I think I can see that if I right click, but I did that and did not see the option. I'm new at this but know what I am doing most of the time!? Thanks for you reply If you can help me further please do!

4. beach51

beach51

Hi nahatche,Once you copy the page,come back here and find your thread,click reply,and when the window opens right click on the screen and paste.Looking over your startup that you wrote down,you dont have to many.But try this.Go to Start>Run>type in Msconfig>click ok,click on the startup tab>remove the check marks next to everything except.

scan registry
    system tray
    Load power profile(2)

Remove the check marks one at a time,click apply,then ok,reboot after each one until all you have left unchecked are the ones listed.

I also see you dont have any anti virus programs.Go here and run a free online scan to make sure you dont have a virus.

http://www.housecall.antivirus.com

5. nahatche

nahatche Thread Starter

I know what you are saying Beach 51. I saw it on the tech tv cable channel. But my concern is if I do that does it hide the icons that I have at the bottom of my screen that I have access to when I am on the computer. I have shortcut icons so that I can access them easily. Does it keep any of those programs from working automatically or do I have to open them somehow before I can use them if I do what you said to ?Also I do have the anti virus. It came with the computer. I have used it. I don't know why it didn't show up but I have it. Thanks again.

6. beach51

beach51

Hi nahatche,you will still have access to these programs.They wont be on the taskbar,your right,but you can use them by going to start>programs>click on the program you want to open.As for the antivirus program that came with the computer,do you keep it updated?Even if the computer is only a week old,you need to keep the virus definitions up to date.Whats the name of the antivirus program,and is it checked in msconfig.Have you deleted your temp files?

7. nahatche

nahatche Thread Starter

Just me again. I have used the "scan disc anti virus" program in my computor. I did it not too long ago. I did however go to the web site you told me to go to. But it downloaded a number of updates that took a while, but nothing happened after that? Maybe I did something wrong. What happened when you did the virus scan? I will try not to bother you again. Thanks

8. beach51

beach51

Hi nahatche,ok when the updates are finished at housecalls antivirus site,just click the my computer box in the left side pane of the program,then click scan.That will start the scaning process.Have you deleted all the temp internet files?Go to the control panel,click on internet options,then click delete temp internet files,then click ok when the dialog box opens.And your not bothering me at all,i enjoy trying to help people with there computer problems.:D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice