1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Warning: Peanut Butter Contamination

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by coderitr, Feb 15, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan peanut butter or Great Value peanut butter due to risk of contamination with Salmonella Tennessee (a bacterium that causes foodborne illness). The affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter have a product code located on the lid of the jar that begins with the number "2111." Both the Peter Pan and Great Value brands are manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra. Great Value peanut butter made by other manufacturers is not affected.

If consumers have any of this Peter Pan or Great Value brand peanut butter in their home that has been purchased since May 2006, they should discard it.

Symptoms of foodborne illness caused by Salmonella include fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps. In persons with poor underlying health or weakened immune systems, Salmonella can invade the bloodstream and cause life-threatening infections. Individuals who have recently eaten Peter Pan and Great Value brand peanut butter beginning with product code 2111 and have experienced any of these symptoms should contact their doctor or health care provider immediately. Any such illnesses should be reported to state or local health authorities.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01563.html

2. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    thats sad :(

but i only buy jif :)

*pounces Keithpunk*

3. teengeekgrrl

teengeekgrrl

Jif loyalist here... My mom refuses to buy Peter Pan. lol

Thanks for the warning though. :)

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Thank goodness its not Sunkist peanut butter ,, there would be a riot in my house..

5. poochee

poochee

Thanks for the warning!

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Thanks for the warning.
    Just checked......yep....we've eaten about half a large jar of it but feel fine.

7. Papermoon

Papermoon

OMG!!! There is a jar with that code in my bottom desk drawer here at work!!
    It's half eaten and I am not feeling very dead.
    It's in the trash can now, thanks for the warning!
    P.S. (JIF sucks)

8. RT

RT

I too have ingested a large portion of the suspected 2111xxx lot.
    I, too am not sick or dead. Doesn't change the fact that over 300 people are sick, possibly related to this.

However they (ConAgra) are voluntarily recalling the entire lot as a precaution.

Now what I find interesting/amusing is how one goes about getting a refund (should you decide ~ $2 is worth the trouble).

You must save the lid and mail it to ConAgra, along with your name and address. (see link)

First off, the US post will likely reject this if you put it in a standard envelope. Anyone remember trying to redeem bottle caps from Coke products via mail? I never got mine... :rolleyes:

Anyway, of more concern is that most folks will have an opened jar of the peanut butter ... now we learn it could possibly be contaminated ... they are asking us to mail a possibly, or perhaps likely, Salmonella CONTAMINATED object via mail to them for a refund!!

'Course it shouldn't hurt you if you don't actually ingest the bacteria, but how many will put the lid in an envelope and then lick it to seal it?
    What do the folks that receive lid do to protect themselves from the product they have been manufacturing?

Food for thought...:rolleyes:

9. hewee

hewee

RT, make cuts around the lid sides and then fold them over so the lid will be more flat. Any wet can be use to seal the envelope so no need to lick it.

Take pictures or scan what you mail off to them too.

10. valley

valley

LOL...I just posted about this in the recall thread. I should have looked before I leapt. :eek: :)

We are Jif lovers too but I bought 10 jars of this stuff at Christmas time for baking and never got around to it so we never did crack open any of the jars....but I did give away 4 of the jars to a food drive. :eek: :( There are only 3 cases in my area of people getting sick from it though so thats good.

11. valley

valley

There were over 285 student absent this past week from my kids middle school (thats half of the entire student body!) There's been a flu epidemic here like you wouldnt believe. I have to wonder if maybe it really was the flu now or if some of it could have been from salmonella.

Although my older kids were sick all week and they hadnt eaten any of the peanut butter so i'm just guessing.

12. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG

peterpan here

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice