1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WARNING Re: Windows 7 updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by WButchar, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WButchar

WButchar Thread Starter

I just want to pass on this warning. I've had this computer for a few months now and had NO problems with anything: system, programs, no crashing or weird stuff whatsoever. I had my auto updates shut off and DID NOT update Win 7 whatsoever. Suddenly, as if I accidentally hit some unknown shortcut keys, it began installing updates on Shut Down. First of all, this was completely unexpected, but I let it continue.

After the updates, I've been having all sorts of problems. First of all, at almost every boot the computer wants to run CHKDSK. It never finds anything and I took my pc through a diagnostic and all my drives, etc. are fine. Still, it wants to keep running CHKDSK. Also, my flash drive is NOT recognized although it is recognized by EVERY other computer I've tried and I've tried several.

Also, several of my programs became glitchy and one would not even run. Tried re-installing the Win7 compatible ones several times, but NOTHING. Had to go to an earlier version before it worked. So far, I've spent over a dozen hours fixing things. And, this is weird, for some reason my system restore points only go back as far as AFTER the updates were installed. So where are the older ones??? I've ran my system through virus check, spyware/malware check, disk check, etc. Everything is fine. There is a slim chance that this is coincidental, but funny how it all happened IMMEDIATELY after installing the updates!

Went on line and found I'm not alone. MANY people have had problems after installing the updates. Some with fonts, others with programs or booting up the pc. And Microsoft wants to charge me for any technical support even though this is clearly THEIR fault. (NOT impressed!!!)

The online consensus and the advice of others I've spoken with is DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS UPDATES!!!!! If anything goes wrong, it's YOUR problem! Microsoft is not much help at all, if any.

Again, DO NOT INSTALL UPDATES!!!!! They are MORE problem than they are worth!

2. valis

valis Moderator

Well, that is a bit over the top, IMO. Windows updates need to be installed; they are security fixes, among other things. What you may want to do is d/l the update and then search the KB for any known issues.

But yeah, you definitely don't want to NOT install updates. Asking for loads of trouble there.

3. WButchar

WButchar Thread Starter

Personally, I normally keep my system VERY clean. Can't remember the last time I've had a virus or even spyware for that matter. That's what is so annoying. And I've had to take care of several computers at the same time. One of the other pc's has NEVER had an update and it runs excellently and without security issues. IMO, Microsoft should check their updates better and should monitor whether or not there are any issues regarding them. Then, if they find any, they should either discard or repair the updates rather than leave it up to us to do so. For most companies, this would be considered good business. Are they not old enough to realize this? For me and the many computers here, disabling auto updates is the better choice. The only reason I even downloaded them is because - and this is something I have never seen before - they began d/ling even though I had disabled it. (Definitely a new one for me! I've never even heard of such a thing happening before!....... perhaps I accidentally hit some short cut or something when I was shutting down.) No idea.

4. valis

valis Moderator

MS does monitor them; that said, there are a LOT of updates that get pushed out. this is why a SUS server is an excellent idea.

But yeah, with as dynamic an industry as the IT field currently is, there are going to be zillions of updates/patches/fixes, what have you, and pretty much all to stay one step ahead of the bad guys.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you ever tried to estimate how many possible combinations of hardware and software any given update will face when it hits the field? Probably almost every PC is unique, and they can't all be tested.

Most of the problems with updates, except for the one every couple years that really is buggy, seem to me to be caused by anti-malware applications and corruption caused by registry "cleaners" or malware.

Other than the occasional annoying glitch I've never had trouble with updates. Of course, I install them within a day or two of release so keep up to date.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

valis:
    What means
    ?

I have noticed, on this forum, that there have been at least 3 threads started following 12 Feb 2013, regarding loss of or problems with sound / audio. I don't know if this is significant because I have not done a statistical analysis. Just an anecdotal report.

I have not noticed any problems with my computers, following the installation of the updates from the patch Tuesday bundle for Feb 2013.

I agree that keeping the OS patched is important.

RF123

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

There could be other causes for your problems. Like if you run some registry cleaners. I have always updated my PC on the day the patches come out and have not experienced any problems. And mine is not a regular Dell or eMachine - it is custom built. You would think that a non regular PC would be the first to encounter problems.

8. valis

valis Moderator

server update services.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb332157.aspx

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

10. valis

valis Moderator

de nada; sorta comes in handy. :)

11. WButchar

WButchar Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input.
    @lunarlander: depending on who builds your pc, I had someone who is an IT for the armed forces build a couple over a uear ago. One basically an update and one complete. To date, nothing I've seen touches the latter one and I've yet to see it freeze or crash. Every piece he would run thru diagnostic. This unit has not received one update and runs several programs simultaneously as well as rips for a 54" printer. What took a half hour to rip on a dedicated pc takes under a minute while still running Illustrator and/or Photoshop.

My 5 or 6 month Tosbiba laptop, i7 quad, 6gb ram, nvidia vid card, etc. ran fine until the updates. In the past, XP days, one of the service pack updates was the cause for my sister's pc to stop running because of the integrated video, audio, etc. Once I installex the cards it ran fine. The IT person I spoke with at the time told me it was fairly common as I've also found on line.

Don't get me wrong! I'm thrilled and grateful for the way computers and software have advanced. For the most part, they're great. However, according to a buddy's kid who tests and fixes programs and software for a living, he says many are released knowing full well of the problems with the intent that patches and updates will be forthcoming. This is in order to meet deadlines. He, however, would not name names.... perhaps in order to keep his job.

If you want to d/l updates: fine. Just research first.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice