1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

*WARNING* spyware removal tools infected themselves

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by rodeognome, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rodeognome

rodeognome Thread Starter

have used spybot, adware, and hijackthis on three serparate
    computers...

All three got infected with exact same pop-ups.

heres the info:

spybot I got from safernetworking.org
    adware from lavasoft.com
    hijackthis from spywareinfo.com* I am most suspicious about this site

Please folks can I have some your input on this topic...spyware is hard enough to get rid of but spyware removal tools that are infected themselves is not on.

2. teetdogs

teetdogs

personally i like either the microsoft anti spyware beta or pest patrol for spyware detection. you have tried the rest now try the best ;)

3. rodeognome

I must try them Teetdogs.

Does anyone else have experience of infected spyware removal tools?

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Hi rodeognome,

Those are some pretty serious statements. I do think you should post the details. Have you made an effort to get in touch with the Programs' authors? It is very possible run a program in the background to watch for another program to be started, or a particular window to appear and then bombard a User with all kinds of junk.

Mo

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The new 1.99.1 version of HijackThis is reported falsely detected as W32/Generic.worm!p2p by McAfee and a couple of others.

I'm sure it will be corrected in due time. Ignore it for now.

Ad-aware temporarily stores infected files in an Ad-aware temp folder and that might explain the detection there. I don't know what you are seeing from Spybot

6. rodeognome

I know they are serious statements but it beggars belief that one of tools from
    these sites actually the EXACT same spyware on ALL three systems.

I am not saying that spybot, adware and hijackthis are detecting new stuff - but
    after using the exact same pop-up appears. It is no co-incidence.

My main suspect is hijackthis from spywareinfo.com...does anyone the credibility of this site??

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It is the OFFICIAL host site for merijn's files ( he is the author of HijackThis and other programs)

What is the exact message you are seeing? And howabout posting a HijackThis scanlog here:

Create a new, permanent folder for HijackThis and save the file to that. Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

Direct HijackThis download link: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice