1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Warning when opening Microsoft Office Outlook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jb1, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jb1

jb1 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Hey, I am new to this forum and I sure hope someone can help me with this annoying warning. I couldn't find any help through Microsoft.

Every time I open Outlook 2007 I get a warning,

"A data file did not close properly the last time it was used and is being checked for problems. Performance might be affected while this check is in progress"

I am using Vista OS and Kespersky Internet Security.
    It seemed as though the problem started after installing Kaspersky?

Outlook works well and no other issues.

Thanks!

2. tssells

tssells

Try disabling the email addin with the AV software and try again. It may just be a bad install. I did however get a similar issue when I had my PST file on a network drive.

3. pinntech

pinntech

This happens when outlook cannot “write” the data from your .pst file and/or your archive files before it is forced closed.

I.e. this is why TSSELLS was getting that problem with the PST stored on the network drive. It didn’t write fast enough or had access problems when closing Outlook.

I would say if the problem started after Kespersky, that it is most likely causing you the problem. Check the settings in Kespersky!

4. jb1

Thanks for the reply.
    I tried disabling the AV mail security but no help. I'll leave it disabled for a few days just to be sure.

5. jb1

Interesting!
    I imported a backup PST file from my old computer. It was imported to a folder under my Personel Folders not my Inbox Folder. Could this be an issue?

6. pinntech

pinntech

I wouldn't think that the import would make any difference as to the location it was imported, but again, I have not worked with Outlook 2007 yet either. I'll check on MSDN and see if I can find anything about it. It may be a little while though.

Also, you may want to look at the AV manufacturer's website to see if they have anything on it. If disabling it didn't fix it, I wouldn't leave it disabled! You'll want the protection!

7. jb1

I'll re-enable my email AV and check Kespersky's website.
    Thanks again for the advise!

8. myklcnier

myklcnier

I believe it is my Microsoft Live OneCare causing the problem. Your Kespersky's may be causing the same fault.

9. 1woody

1woody

I also installed Outlook 2007 from 2003 and now experience they same problem described. Most of the time when I start Outlook I receive the error message that the data file did not close properly. Also when I run Microsoft's scanpst.exe, it reports errors in the pst file that need repaired. I am running Trend Micro PC-cllin 2007. I really don't think the AV software is the problem.

10. pinntech

pinntech

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

How big is the PST file?

Is it really stored on a network drive?

12. clinker

clinker

I resolved this by unchecking the "Schedule an automatic send/receive every" checkbox of the "When outlook is offline section" of the send/receive options:

Tools / Options / Mail Set Up tab / Send/Recieve button / Uncheck "Schedule an automatic send/receive every" checkbox.

Works for me, but not a resolution if you want Outlook to send and recieve when offline; but who does? :)

13. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you tried scanning and fixing the pst file via scanpst.exe? Maybe the pst file in some way is corrupted. I just did this on 6 files this morning. ;)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/564677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice