1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Was I hacked?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Airmapper, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airmapper

Airmapper Thread Starter

An unusual series of things happened on my computer the other day, and while I find it unlikely, I wonder if it was possible that I was hacked into.

I was downloading 2 things, Windows update and Avast program update. My screen periodically would black out, resize, and then a minute later go back to normal, I blamed this on the Intel display drivers being installed and thought nothing of it.

However several minutes later my screen went black and stayed this way several minutes. I waited for it to come back, and it eventually did. After this things seemed normal, but then my screen went black again with a broken up image, that appeared like it was attempting to tile itself vertically. It was a symbol, a cross with a circular top, I've seen them before but don't know what they mean, but for some reason I didn't think it was something an update would need.

I did get my screen back after a few seconds, I cut off my wireless connection using the switch on the computer. Shortly after that my screen went black with a blinking cursor in the top corner. I hit a few keys to see if it was a command prompt, nothing happened, so I killed the power and rebooted. Everything has been fine since.

What is more likely, being hacked, or just glitches from updates and over working my system? I use a Comodo firewall, and being on a log in network (not public Wi-Fi) I assumed I'd be somewhat secure. I have Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks for any input.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'd guess heat before hacking. Check your air flow and fans. Be sure vents are clear. If your graphics card has a fan and the PCI slot next to it is in use, move whatever is in that slot so there is more space for air to flow. When you have the side off, if this happens again, blow a fan into the case to see if this cooling stops the problem.

But, scan for malware, of course. It usually takes more than one to catch them all.

Free anti-malware scanners:

A-Squared
    Spybot S&D
    Ad-Aware 2007
    SuperAntiSpyware
    Spyware Eliminator
    Emco Malware Destroyer
    Spyware Doctor
    Arovax Anti-spyware
    Trend-Micro Rootkit Buster
    F-Secure Blacklight

List of freeware security software

3. Airmapper

Airmapper Thread Starter

Thanks. I've heard things about being hacked, not sure whats true and whats exaggerated, but it still doesn't sound good.

I ran Spybot and Ad-Aware, came up clean except for a few tracking cookies. Since I don't seem to have any reoccurring issues I think I'm okay.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!