1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Washing Machine died - maybe I can fix it?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Cake4All, Jan 30, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. Cake4All

Cake4All Thread Starter

Good morning
    On the worst day of course, I loaded up my machine, it filled with water, and then nothing!
    A service guy came in and charged me $50 to look at it, and then said nothing I can do the transmission is gone.
    :(
    I went surfing on Google and found this site parts
    When I hover over 'transmission', the pop up states "non-user serviceable"
    Does this mean it can't be tweaked, or replaced?

I am pretty handy and not rich (can't afford to second opinion this thing)

Is there anyone out there who could give me some advice.
    It is a 13 year old Maytag and has never given me a hint of trouble ... light use (no kids). My mother's is 20 years old and better than any newer machine I have seen. (back in the good old days when they built things to last!)

I would like to try and repair this if I can.
    do you think there is any hope?

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

guessing that means it's replaceable but they don't think/recommend you/user should/can do it

If you can find/buy the part and want to try, go for it...

buck

3. ezymony

ezymony

I think non-user serviceable means that the transmission cant be taken apart and fixed i would think that it can be replaced. Maybe a service tech will stop by and give you some advice.

4. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

Here's a place I've found useful:

http://www.repairclinic.com/

Pay particular attention to Repair Guru

Let us know how things turn out. If it's 13 years old, and the tranny is gone, I'd sugest you look at replacing any pertinent bearings that are not part of the new tranny, if they exist in your model.

Good luck. :)

5. Cake4All

Cake4All Thread Starter

I keep Googling and Googling and I think that I might tackle this myself.
    First I have to figure out how to see if it really is the transmission :). I think the service guy was just too quick on his diagnosis, he wasn't there very long and he was snotty, didn't explain anything to me, just said "the transmission is fried, you need a new machine"

Each service call is $50 so I don't want to keep spending money on this in case I have to put it toward a new one.

thanks Eggplant. It is that site that encourages me to try this myself.
    Nothing to lose I guess!

I will try and take pics and show you my progress.
    Thank you

6. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

You're welcome, and good luck.

7. Cake4All

Cake4All Thread Starter

LMAO
    I was sitting in a puddle of what I think is transmission fluid, parts strewn about, killing myself laughing.
    I have now decided that I would start surfing e opinions for a new machine!
    Before I have them haul this away, I am going to dismantle it piece by piece and find out how these things work once and for all. Maybe even see if I can put it back together
    LOL
    Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. At the very least I am going to use some of my unrecognizable tools that were gathering dust before the Internet manuals called for them.

8. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

a energy guru suggest getting a model made in the last 5-6 years becuase they are more energy friendly and would pay for itself in a few years with the less energy usage.

but you can also get a good used washer for 50$ the price of most parts

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I have been in service most of my life in one form or another. A transmission in a washing machine adds up to being harder (not as messy or time consuming) as the transmission in your car. They are a bear, I have never done one successfully but that isn't my area of expertise. I would rather change 3 compressors in air conditioners than to attempt another washing machine tranny. It is very easy to screw one up. You can really waste time and money trying it yourself.

You are right, tear it apart and learn what you can. Then call the scrap man.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice