1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Watch Tv Away From Home

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by bob890, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bob890

bob890 Thread Starter

I need a way to watch tv on my computer when away from home and any cable outlets, like strem media from my dvr. Slingboxes are too expensive.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Save your pennies, the Slingbox is the thing you appear to need. ;)

3. shannon08

shannon08

Fortunately, you can watch TV on your laptop or any computer if you have a wireless connection. The TV stations will open in a media player or in a Web browser. Best of all, this option allows you to watch TV wirelessly on your laptop for free.

4. JohnWill

Well, the TV you get over the Internet is very limited, so unless you want to watch a lot of junk TV, or pay for each show, that's not really a practical option.

5. valis

valis Moderator

what about hulu? OP doesn't state what show they are needing to watch; maybe hulu carries it.

6. JohnWill

Didn't Hulu transition to a paid service?

7. valis

valis Moderator

not as of last week.......

8. JohnWill

Could be an option... I have HBO, so I can actually watch HBO on-line from any location just by logging in. I watched a movie on my last trip on my laptop. :D

9. valis

valis Moderator

nice.....didn't even know HBO was streaming yet.........I just read anyhow....:)

10. JohnWill

11. valis

valis Moderator

thanks for the link.......wasn't even aware that was an option. Betcha my wife will enjoy it........:)

12. JohnWill

Lots of stuff available, useful if you're away and want to watch something other than the three channels in the hotel room. :D

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Hulu will continue to have a free service. The paid service gets you I don't know what because it will still have the commercials.

Between Hulu, Netflix, Boxee and all the other stuff, I can usually find something to watch when I am away from home but usually don't have time to watch TV when I am away from home. Isn't the point of getting away from home to do things that you usually don't do at home.

14. JohnWill

Well, if you're paying for stuff like Netflix, then you can obviously use it. :)

15. bob890

bob890 Thread Starter

thanks now I have alot of things to try

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956259