1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

watching movies on computer

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Gasper, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gasper

Gasper Thread Starter

Hi,
    how can I watch movies that have been burned onto a disk. Someone told me to use Mediaplayer that came with my computer but I get sound with no picture. For picture all I get is those crazy lines that change colour and shape. And the only way I get sound is by the computer dialing out, where I don't know.
    Yours truly
    Gasper
    [email protected]

2. Herbie

Herbie

Gasper, if you are trying to watch a movie in any of the mpg, avi, or divX formats, all you really need to do is scan the web for video codec's required to play them. First go to moviecodec.com and read up a little about video codec's. There are plenty of downloads that will install the video and audio codec's you'll need.
    If you still have trouble, let me know. herbie

3. beach51

beach51

Hi Gasper,you say the computer is dailing out but you dont know where to.Sounds like some spyware componnet calling home.Lets have a look at your startup programs.Go to Start>Run>type in
    Msinfo32,click ok,click on the + sign next to software environment,
    click on startup programs,click edit,select all,click edit,copy,and paste the page back here.

4. Ratfood

Ratfood

Gasper , your computer is probably dialing out because when media player needs a certain codec to play a movie it automatically goes to microsoft.com and tries to download it. If your trying to watch a movie file and its only showing the "lines that change color" then its because you don't have the correct video codec to watch that movie.... I hate to sound like a broken record here but if you get the kristal codec pack then 99.5% of all your codec issues will be solved. You can get it here....http://screw.wz.cz/test/codecs.htm

Once youu install te codec, windows media player will work fine, although its quite a resource hog. I personally use zoom player which you can find by doing a search in google. The controls are easier to use, and it takes a lot less resources (important to me cause my computer is old & slow).

5. Herbie

Herbie

Ratford,
    I believe you are correct about Gaspard's problem. I too, have had a dislike for media player 7 and have been using version 6 cause it doesn't use up so much memory. But now I have tried zoom, and boy do I like it...........thanks for the tip... Herbie

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice