1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Water Cooled and still very hot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lewy, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lewy

lewy Thread Starter

Hi
    Can anyone advise me here, I have an Alienware desktop that i've started to upgrade,
    I've installed a pair of 8800 ultras and a QX6800 Extreme cpu . The pc's about 11 months old and came with it's own water cooling for it's original duo x6800, i'm trying to put some mild over clocking in place but my cpu temps are too high ,idle in the bios show 70c with standard settings ie no over clock . The rad doesn't feel hot at all , I'm not sure how critical the heat paste is as I didn't have a lot spare when I changed the cpu's over, I've heard this type of cpu is supposed to be a good over clocker even just with air cooling.
    Any ideas anyone?.

Thanks Adrian.

2. WarC

WarC

What kind of paste did you use between the CPU and heatsink?

3. lewy

lewy Thread Starter

Hi
    I'll be honest the local computer shop guy gave me and old syringe with a very small amount in, I didn't see the brand. But the amount was about the size of a match head.

Adrian

4. WarC

WarC

Thats probably it then. The thermal compound is vital to the process. Only at that point can the water cooling system do its thing. You may want to go back to that shop and ask if the guy has any Arctic Silver Ceramique...It is a very good paste, and it does not contain the silver that its pricier cousin has in it. Still, it is by far better than most of the gloopy white or gray stuff out there. Antec makes a silver thermal compound as well, but with the silver stuff you have to be very careful of not letting any of it run off the chip.

5. lewy

lewy Thread Starter

Hi
    Thanks for the info , I was looking at the pastes and wasn't sure which one ,I know now the one to get. Is it right that applying it useing your finger is a no no ?.

Adrian.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/670144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice