1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Water in basement

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by bruinator, Mar 26, 2008.

Advertisement
  1. bruinator

bruinator Banned Thread Starter

On occasions, when it pours outside for a few hours I will get rain in my basement. I have a sump pump which works really well. Sometimes though I still get water from cracks in the walls in the basement. What could I use to to prevent this from happening? I appreciate any positive responses.

thanks

2. Peter Komar

Peter Komar

Make sure the grounds around your home are graded ( sloping ) away from the foundation and there are no eavestroughs dumping water anywhere near it.

There is a good chance you will have to make the repairs from the outside. Water infiltration is usually caused by the water proofing system ( membrane, if there is one )on your foundation breaking down or your weeping tile going bad.

The process of digging up around your whole house is expensive but it is the only sure way to stop water coming in.

Small interior hairline cracks can be repaired short term with epoxy injections but after a couple of winters, they usually start to leak again.

3. bruinator

I was told to use hydraulic cement on the cracks inside the house and apply it to the walls with cracks. Is this another good option? Could someone please let me know.

Thanks

4. Peter Komar

Peter Komar

Hydraulic cement will patch the job temporaily. Water will always find a different route in if you don't fix the problem the right way.

5. bruinator

I am told the house has been getting water in it for over 47 years.

6. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

you could raise the sub pump, buy some fish and make your own little pond? No? Well I think It would be cool.

Well if don't want your own personal indoor fishing pond you could try this. I know people that drill holes into cinder blocks closest they can get to the floor. An enclosed "aqueduct" is then made covering those holes leading to the sub-pump well. This gives the water an alternate route to travel, one of least resistance. It flows harmlessly into the sub-pump well instead of all over the place.

Now, this is just a method I have seen done. Before you do anything to your house contact an experienced contractor.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice