1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Water spill

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ironman3969, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ironman3969

ironman3969 Thread Starter

hey!!
    I recently spilled a little water on the back of my laptop (Acer aspire 5755) absent-mindedly......
    I removed the battery immediately and kept it upside-down for 2 days and it worked.
    does the water-spill actually affect the performance of laptop???
    thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, it will damage electronics - best thing to do is dry out as soon as possible - put in warm area for a few days (airing cupboard) - or if small - rice can remove water - cross fingers and hope

sounds like you have done the correct thing with the battery

or

is the PC now not working correctly

3. Simba7

Simba7

I would suggest an oven on the lowest setting possible (usually WARM). I had a laptop drop in a puddle and I immediately yanked the battery pack, brought it home, and tossed it in the oven.

It's still working perfectly.

4. ironman3969

ironman3969 Thread Starter

the PC is working fine.....but i feel the speed of my laptop has gone down after the water-spill......and i am facing a minor problem after the water-spill....my laptop doesnt turn on by battery, i have to connect to the charger and switch on.....after turning up, it works fine.....
    thanks

5. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I would not recommend this. The temperature difference and the rapidly evaporating water may actually be more harmful then the water. As it may stop the water from causing corrosion, but the excess moisture may also cause some the PCB to warp...

Best bet is to be patient, take it apart and let it air dry. Try to speed it up and you could be out a machine.

6. Simba7

Simba7

That's why you put the oven on the LOWEST setting (usually WARM) and the highest rack. You would want to take out the hard drive, battery, and maybe the CD/DVD drive before you do this, though.

..and don't "preheat" the oven. That would cause a major temperature shift. Also, let it gradually cool. It's no different then leaving it in a hot car and letting it cool before using.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice