1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wat's tfswctrl.exe?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Tom Seeley, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

Just curious....once or twice a year, it seems, I'll lhave trouble logging off and/or shutting down because this file, whatever it is, stops responding. Clicking "end now" doesn't always help, but holding the power button in for 5-6 seconds seems to do the trick!:D I can't duplicate the condition and I don't remember all of what's in place since it happens rarely, but I'm just curious what it is.

Thx

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

tfswctrl.exe is an essential process for HP's packet writing software which burns data to CD's using Microsoft Windows explorer

3. Tom Seeley

HP? As in Hewlett Packard? To my knowledge, none of my hardware is HP hardware. My one and only CD drive is a Samsung CD-R/RW SW 252S. Do I need to worry about those rare occasions when tfswctrl.exe won't stop properly, or just keep holding in the power button when it does that?

4. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Hewlett Packard yeah. This file controls the readability of the Combo drives. Without this file loading the end user will be able to burn CD's but wont be able to read them. (so the website says). It doesn't sound too critical.

5. rummer

rummer

Found this ---- Many users have reported shutdown problems caused by TFSWCTRL "not responding". In all cases, since they were never using the DLA software and were instead using the CD Writing software to create their CDs, they simply de-installed HP’s DLA and that solved all their problems with TFSWCTRL. Hope it helps you

6. Tom Seeley

It does help, to a point: I have a Dell, which I think came with some Dell bloatware called Sonic DLA. I do know that it occasionally gives me a strange message when trying to shut down: Please wait while your media is updated. I don't use it; I don't know what DLA even stands for; and I have no hardware at all from Hewlett Packard. The only thing I do with CDs is sometimes copy *.doc files or *.xls or *.ppt files to them, which I created on my home desktop, so I can carry them with my laptop when I go on the road teaching. Plain ol' ctrl-C/ctrl-V etc seem to do the trick for me, with plain ol' CD-R disks. Should I/could I simply use Control Panel/Remove and get rid of Sonic entirely, and perhaps avoid any problems with it or twfsctrl.exe not responding, from now on, or should I leave mostly well enough alone?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice