1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wattamess I've made

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wattamess, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wattamess

wattamess Thread Starter

Hello, I made a mess I think, more like I know. I was running (Win 98 SE),
    I installed (Win ME ) I did not make a restore point. ( BIG BOOBOO) I tried to restore the next day like an idiot but it was already to late. The most important thing & I screwed it up.
    I was having trouble with ME (System crashes & other related problems) so I uninstalled it , formatted the hard drive and reinstalled my Windows 98SE .For the past 6 months or so When I start up windows I receive a message on a black screen telling me that the Windows registry cannot find (system INI File)(vxd & dfs) something like that. what I wanted to know was If I've messed it up for good or what.? I'm so tired of seeing this when I start Windows. I've already searched the Windows 98 SE CD and It won't recover this INI file. Will I have to buy a new 98 CD? Can this Problem be fixed in MSDOS MODE? Any information that you could supply me with would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You So Much.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

There are two ways to do it. the first is to go to Control Panel>Network>Configuration Page
    Click the add Button
    Select Client for Microsoft Networks.
    You will need your install disk if you didn't put the cabs on the Hard Drive.

The second involves editing the registry. Let me know if you want that method.

3. wattamess

wattamess Thread Starter

thank you for all your help.
    I need that other method also.
    Anything that will stop this message from coming up when I start Windows. I really hope this works.
    Once again Thank you for all of your help.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Did you try the first method? It's really either /or.

Reinstalling client for Microsoft Networks will add the missing file referenced at start.
    Try that first, reboot. The message should be fone.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Here's the registry method:
    Go to start>run and type regedit. Press enter.
    NAvigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\DFS

You navigate the same as in windows Explorer.
    When you get to DFS. Click on it to hightlight.
    In the right pane you will see an entry named

StaticVxd

Delete that entry.

But only use this method if you have not reinstalled Client for Microsoft Networks. Otherwise you are going to create another problem.

6. wattamess

wattamess Thread Starter

I will try the first method , then the next if necessary & e-mail you back with the diagnosis.LOL
    Thank You So Much

7. wattamess

wattamess Thread Starter

Thank you very much .
    The second method is the one I tried because the first method I've tried that before due to some Network related problems and when I reboot, I still had the message. Now It's fine. Thanks to you. To be honest I have several problems that I'm going to post.LOL Anywho . Thanks

8. sdp3501

sdp3501

First Name:
    Shawn
    as i mentioned in the reply i made to you other post, ive had alot of success at http://annoyances.org good luck!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice