1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WaveOut format not supported

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ADRIANNA3121, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ADRIANNA3121

ADRIANNA3121 Thread Starter

I have a Windows 98 second editon, and my problem is that my sound card has no sound. when i try to play something an error shows up and it says MMJB Soundcard problem waveout format not supported. I installed AIDA32 and found out that the problem had something to do with VIA AC 97 Audio controller WDM, and with VIA AC 97 enchated Audio controller WDM. When I click on details for both of them it says Driver is enabled but inactive due to an unknown problem.

Thanx in advance

2. panzer999

panzer999

Sounds like something has corrupted your sound card drivers. Try going to http://www.driversguide.com and downloading and installing new drivers.

Also, click Start>Run, type in dxdiag and hit enter. On the Sounds tab, see if you get any errors there.

Posting more of your system specs might be a good idea also.

Good Luck

3. ADRIANNA3121

When I did the thing you told me to do with the start and run dxdiag I clicked on and it said Failure at step 3 (Directsound create):HRESULT=0x88780078(No driver) i got another error called HRESULT=0X00000000(error code) just by clicking next.

Heres my system information
    Processor: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~500MHz
    Memory: 312MB RAM

4. panzer999

panzer999

Did you just upgrade DirectX when this problem started, or has it been going on for a while?

Try getting the latest drivers for your sound card. If that doesn't work, you might need to get the latest drivers for your VIA 97 controller. I found a few sites on Google for the controller, and http://www.driversguide.com has the ones for the card itself.

Try that and see what happens.

5. ADRIANNA3121

Yes i did upgrade Direct X a couple a weeks ago and that's when all the problem started .I have tried everything you said ,and went on the site and still haven't resolved my problem.I really appreciate all your help ,you have been very kind .I hope you or someone else can help resolve my problem .

Thanks so much !

6. panzer999

panzer999

OK, that doesn't sound good.

I'm thinking that your sound card doesn't support some of the features of the new DirectX. If you are sure you have the newest drivers for the card and controller, then the only option I can think of is purchasing a newer sound card.

But just hang in there...someone more familiar with your card may be able to help you. (The only thing I found on your card was that it was made by Acard...if that isn't correct, let us know.)

I'll dig around and try to find out more about your card. Just sit tight and maybe we can find a work-around.

You're Welcome, and Welcome to TSG!

7. ADRIANNA3121

Someone plz help me get my sound back .

Tanx

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice