wavy lines on older pc display

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

adilhoxha

Not sure if this is the right place, but...

I have an older desktop pc that I'm trying to use with my interactive whiteboard. When I hook it up to any monitor the display has tiny, wavy lines - not new lines - just what is on screen seems to be moving...just slightly. (The desktop pic is fine...but the icons on the desktop show it - and it shows up in the programs.) It isn't really noticeable unless you look for it, that is, until you hook it up through a projector (via a long vga cord) and it is unbearable to look at.

I checked the System Information under Display and it had no info.

In the Device Manager there was one question mark under Other Devices -> Video Controller (VGA Compatible) and it said there was a problem with the driver.

Is this the issue? Any advice on how to fix it? Or if I need to take it to someone who knows the "insides" of a computer better - could you help me know what to ask for?

(I'm thinking it might need a new video card - I don't need anything too fancy just to project the display onto an interactive whiteboard, do I? Or would a better card make a difference in seeing the display that large?) [4 feet across]

Thanks for the assistance...

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. Try looking for an updated driver. It sounds like it's onboard video, so, you'll be looking at the motherboard manufacturer's website for drivers. And yes, you might need to get a better add in video card for what you are trying to do.

adilhoxha

crt - but the real issue is projecting onto the whiteboard. (Lines appear when I hook it up to my lcd at home to...)

It is an intel 82865G graphics card (64mb) and the driver now is 6.14.10.3722

I've searched around and found a couple of different possible driver updates - not sure which (or if) to try if they would make a difference.

Or I guess I just put in a simple/cheap but reliable graphics card? (Recommendations?)

adilhoxha

Got the right driver from Intel - nothing changed.

Guess it must be hardware?
Thanks for the shopping tip - might have to try it.

It doesn't do it during the start up menu or during the windows xp startup (black screens) but starts when windows says "welcome..." (blue screen)

It couldn't be a windows thing?

adilhoxha

...and if I go to replace the video card can this be a do-it-yourself job?

Is the current graphics card "built-in" to the motherboard?
(Intel 82865G)

Or is this something a little beyond plugging a new card into a new slot?

Thanks for the help :)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Plugging in a new one should be an easy project. Be sure you have an AGP slot on the motherboard.

Usually, plugging in an AGP card will auto disable the onboard.

The reason the video is ok on bootup is that it is using the very basic of drivers....once it gets to Windows, it needs the proper drivers for Windows.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online