Way to restore drive image each time system is turned on?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

Weird, I know, but at one time, it existed. I heard of such around twenty years ago.

OK, here's the problem. I have a long-time, non-tech-savvy client whose computer seems to crash on an irregular basis. Usually when I go there, the computer simply won't boot to Windows 10 at all. We've been through several computers and several versions of Windows over the years so the common denominator is the user. I have imaged her drive and have shortened the work by simply restoring that image each time.

Now I'm looking for a "self-healing" solution that I don't know if still exists.

About twenty years ago (+/-), there was talk on the net of a program that would restore an image of the OS drive every time the computer was turned on. Does such still exist that will work for Windows 10? If so, where can I find it?

Yes, I know the disadvantages so let's not get into that. This lady stores nothing on her computer and all she does is browse the 'net and do web mail.

Couriant

James
I don't know if there is an option in Windows 10 (will look) but there is a program that I know of that will 'freeze' the computer state so at each reboot it will revert back to that image. It's called DeepFreeze, though I don't know if they have a single use license or be cost worthy enough to install.

Alex Ethridge

Some IT buffins suggest RollBackRX. They have a free home edition with minimal options but it sounds about good for your user's everyday use.
To be clear, when I go there, Windows won't run at all, not even Safe Mode. Turning on the computer results in a black blank screen.

My understanding of RollBack is that it is a Windows program. If Windows won't run, RollBack cannot be accessed.

Alex Ethridge

I don't know if there is an option in Windows 10 (will look) but there is a program that I know of that will 'freeze' the computer state so at each reboot it will revert back to that image. It's called DeepFreeze, though I don't know if they have a single use license or be cost worthy enough to install.
Turns out that is the very one I heard about long ago.

Thanks.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes. Faronics Deep Freeze. I've been using this utility for years. It's installed on all of my laptops that touch the Internet. It freezes the system partition where once you reboot, everything gets restored back to the frozen baseline. If you need to apply any patches or permanent changes to the system partition, you would set Deep Freeze to thaw and reboot. When the PC comes back on line, it'll be in the thawed state. Access to the GUI to freeze and thaw the system can be password protected to prevent unauthorized access.

Faronics gives you 60 days to try the utility for free. If you decide to buy it, you just enter the license key into the GUI and it becomes a permanent install.

Oh and you can designate a different partition/drive as a thawed space where data can be saved without being lost on reboot if you wish.

mohittomar13

Mohit Tomar
If web surfing and e-mailing is the only thing that your client does, then I would also suggest Puppy Linux, as this is the only legit and free solution. You could make puppy look like windows 10.

Alex Ethridge

If web surfing and e-mailing is the only thing that your client does, then I would also suggest Puppy Linux, as this is the only legit and free solution. You could make puppy look like windows 10.
Thanks for the suggestion but . . .

Linux? For a techno-illiterate person? Really? And what happens when Linux crashes? How does that solve anything. Besides, I don't know anything about Linux beyond how to install it, and even that, I don't know what the choices made during installation mean.

This dear lady who is my client has a condition that makes learning new things difficult. I don't want to frustrate her with something that looks the least bit different than what she is already used to.

Alex Ethridge

is not window kiosk legit and free?
is not window kiosk legit and free?
I'm not familiar enough with that, I'm afraid, to set it up and support it.

I'm just guessing but I think she is crashing the computer with illegal shutdowns when she becomes frustrated by those big unannounced Windows updates that delay startup with those long-lasting black screens that even frustrate the mildly tech-savvy users.

I wonder if even Kiosk mode might get destroyed the same way.

Couriant

James
Kiosk mode will prevent things from installing by the user. It is only available on Pro, Education, and Enterprise editions.

its not a bad option, especially if the user is not using any programs that saves on the hard drive.
I think it can be set up to log in without a password or at least clicking on Guest to sign in. Nothing much more for a learning curve, if any.
But if you need something simple then the link I provided should be sufficient

Alex Ethridge

As I said, it is not installing things that's crashing the system. I'm pretty sure it is illegal shutdowns. When Microsoft does its updates, they don't explain what is happening. Sometimes when they are doing big ones, people don't understand why when they turn their computer on, all they get is a black screen. I have seen situations where it took an hour or more of that blank, black screen before the Windows comes up. I have a standard answer for people who call me about that: Walk away for an hour or two. Call me back only if it doesn't come back up after three hours. That almost always solves the problem -- if they don't attempt a restart.

So Kiosk I don't think will help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online