1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ways to hook up 2 computers for file sharing and internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jrochte, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrochte

jrochte Thread Starter

I have gotten word that I am going to get help in the CAD portion of my job. I am looking into networking 2 computers together to share files and quite possibly internet connection(DSL). What are some economical/easier ways to setup a network.

Computer 1 specs
    --Intel Xeon EM64T 3.0 GHz processor
    --Windows x64 and 32 bit installed
    --HDD partitioned with 32 bit XP (using now) and 64 bit
    --64 bit architecture(factory installed x64 bit Windows) i installed 32 bit because of
    Hardware problems.
    --NIC-not sure if I can use straight thru or crossover cable with.
    --A couple of available USB ports

Computer 1 is my computer- i just want to grant access to my co-worker so when hes done with one file he can save it back to my computer and I can then access it when needed. He will also need "template" files that I already have on my computer. It seems easier to handle instead of having to update files on each computer(or worse, rely on each other to rtemember to update each computer).

computer 2 specs
    --Intel Xeon dual core 3.0 Ghz processor - plus a possible second processor-not sure if I
    will get the 2nd processor though.
    --Windows Xp 32 bit
    --NIC-not sure if I can use straight thru or crossover cable with.
    --A couple of available USB ports

This will be the first time dealing with networking for me, so i not sure of what route to take. I hear of direct cable connection through parallel port/serial port/cat5 cross over cable. What do you think?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If just file sharing, cross-over Cat 5 ethernet cable. If either of the ports on the computers is auto-sensing (MDI/MDIX) you can use a regular patch cable.

If internet sharing also, forget the direct PC-PC connection and get a router. You will need a modem with ethernet connection, or else a DSL modem/router combo.

3. jrochte

jrochte Thread Starter

Let's say we want internet connection with computer 2. I have a modem and ethernet connection on computer 1, in fact, at the time I got DSL I went for the "homePortal" setup(using existing phonelines instead of a router/hub and several cat5 cable to the other computers, which there are 5 others). At that time my company was adding a new office so i had the Telephone guys out to setup each outlet with an extension and a seperate internet line. I think I had to have a seperate internet line because of my company's phone system. I would use this method but that would entail the telephone guys to install another outlet for the Internet and for me to buy another $50 USB adapter. I hope to save a little money by networking and have computer 2 use my internet connection. I think Computer 2 will be close enough to allow me to get a reasonably priced cat5 cable. How much does a router go for these days?

4. HandleX

HandleX

40-60.00

only wayt to go with ease of setup and it will work fine. Get a router, your DSL Modem doesn't have the capability for more then one port?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "How much does a router go for these days?"

What HandleX said, or as low as $15 - $25 with sales and/or rebates.

Your current modem has USB connection only? If so, you could go with the direct PC-PC connection and enable ICS on your PC. Often it works, often people have trouble getting it to work, and sometimes it seems to work less well, if at all, with USB internet.

6. jrochte

jrochte Thread Starter

My current modem has both Ethernet and USB connection. Currently it has the ethernet hooked up.

So realistically, I could hook my modem up per USB and then hook PC to PC direct per Ethernet. THen enable the ICS, with a possibility of it becoming a hassle to get it to work, spending the cost of a crossover cat5e cable and time to get the network up and running.
    Or...
    I could buy and hook up the cat5e patch cable, router and not enable ICS, nopt having as much hassle after setup. How does a modem hook up to a computer and the router?

7. danmcman

danmcman

Stick with the router option, ICS is a pain and will slow down your connection while using system resources. Its not tough to setup the Modem/Router connection. You just need to tell the router the IP of the modem as a gateway to the internet. Then you can configure a new network on the other side of the router. Setting up file sharing between your PC's will be a piece of cake after that. Here is how the connection should look:

Wall -- Modem -- Router -- [Computer 1, Computer 2]

Maybe you could even go wireless with something like this :)
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...tCategoryId=pcmcat7000050002&id=1051384663529

8. jrochte

jrochte Thread Starter

Forgive me this is new to me. After the connection is done, where do I go to setup the IP of the modem and file sharing? Use Network setup wizard? Both computers have XP 32 bit.

9. danmcman

danmcman

You shouldn't need to setup any IP's on the modem, just the new router.

After you connect the Modem to the Router via CAT5e patch cable, and connect your PC to the Router, you need to first make sure that you're set to obtain an IP automatically. [There are instructions that come with the router that should help you configure it, but here's a rundown anyway.] Then open IE and type in the address 192.168.0.1 (typically), it will prompt you for a username/pass, usually Admin/[blank] or something, and you're in the router.

For file sharing, double click on My Computer to open an explorer window. Navigate to the folder you want to share, right click on it and select properties. Click the Sharing tab and click the option to Share this Folder on the Network and Allow Users to Change My Files. If both PC's are on the same workgroup, the other guy should be able to see your share through My Network Places.

Don't get to far ahead of yourself, just take this on one step at a time until you get the feel for it. :)

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The router will come with a Quick Installation Guide. Often the installation is nothing more than making the connections danmcman described. If your DSL requires a static IP, or PPPoE, or user name/password, you have to set those on your router. If you have this, the Quick Installation Guide or the User Manual will describe how to get this info from your PC and then set it in the router.

If you get a wireless router you should then configure the wireless as desired, or disable it if you are not going to use wireless initially.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice