1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ways to transfer files from laptop to desktop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jag11, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jag11

Jag11 Thread Starter

My father have a HP Laptop with XP, and I have a XP desktop, now here's my problem, I mean, our problem.

Sometimes, when my father wants to do things on my desktop, he sends his files to my desktop through E-mail, and sometimes its large and it takes time to upload and download (we only use a dial-up modem, that's why), and when it's eating so much time, he's getting disappointed, specially when he's going to a meeting or something else. Now, are there other ways on transfering files from a laptop to a desktop or vise versa (except through e-mail, coz as I said, we only use a dial-up)?

oh, before I forget, his laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.

Thanks,

Jag

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do both computers have an ethernet port?

3. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

If they both have ethernet-- you can network them with crossover cable or plug them into a router and use file sharing or FTP.

You could also transfer over parallel ports, USB ports if the computers have those.
    Otherwise, you can get a thumb drive or external floppy/cd burner.

If all else fails, you can get an adapter and plug the laptop hard drive into the desktop.

4. Jag11

Jag11 Thread Starter

AcaCandy,

what is the ethernet port? is it like the port of phone lines? if yes, I have, beside the USB ports. Now, how can I use this to connect the 2 comps?

--

brenda,

I think you've answered my question. I don't have a router, and what do you mean by crossover cable?

Can I just plug the wire used by my modem to the modem port of the laptop?

5. Old Bob

Old Bob

jag11,

Have you considered using a flash drive in the USB port ???
    I use one to move files between my notebook and desktop.

6. Jag11

Jag11 Thread Starter

Yeah, but can I just do this?

because if yes, why would I buy a USB if I can do that.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

No you cannot connect modem to modem.

The ethernet port is slightly wider than the modem port. It requires a "crossover Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable connected between them and a network configured - very simply with XP.

8. Jag11

Jag11 Thread Starter

where can I find that?

9. jmwills

jmwills

10. Jag11

Jag11 Thread Starter

I mean the "crossover cat 5". Can I buy it on stores?

11. jmwills

jmwills

Yes, available commercially.
    Put both machines in the same workgroup, enable file and print sharing, give both machines a static IP address within the workgroup, configure third party firewalls to allow sharing.

12. ~Candy~

CompUSA, Radio Shack, Office Depot, Office Max......I think even Walmart.

13. RedHelix

RedHelix

Yep.... you can buy crossover at Wal-Mart. I found it surprising that Wal-Mart shoppers would even know what it is.

I don't think that's the best solution for jag though. Most crossover cables cost about the same as a small thumb drive, which is an awful lot easier to use and comes in way better handy. Jag, I would say just grab one of those instead. No offense, but if you are unfamiliar with what an NIC is and how to transfer files via LAN on an XP workgroup, I wouldn't go playing with crossover cable.

14. ~Candy~

Depends on how large the files are ;) I have a 128 drive, and now I can't fit all my email boxes on it at the same time ;)

15. RedHelix

RedHelix

That's true.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/412868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice