1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD 160GB HDD not showing up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ConsumingHatred, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ConsumingHatred

ConsumingHatred Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I'd like to thank you all before hand for your time and patience.

I'll try to be brief. I was an external USB harddrive a WD Passport 160GB and it's no longer showing up as a F:/ or any other in my "My Computer". When I connect my harddrive my computer searches for the driver and installs one but the problem is... it doesn't do it correctly, so it seems. The little USB cable with a checkmark pops up at my task bar but I can't even access my storage.

I once ran a CHKDSK and it mentioned some issue with F:/ (at the time I did it, I had my harddrive connected) and since then it hasn't worked. I tried going to the device manager to uninstall the driver and so on and restart it but it doesn't work. It recognizes the connection to the computer but it doesn't work, I can't acess it, can't work on it.

It shows up as a USB storage and it's identified as just "WD" and before it was a longer name. I don't remember what precisely but yeah, it's different.

Anyone able to help me? I really appreaciate any help and/or suggestions.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

If you go to Disk Mangement does the drive show up there without an assigned drive letter? If it does can you explore it by right clicking on it and choosing open or explore? See if you can assign if a different drive letter if it does work ok otherwise.

3. ConsumingHatred

I don't know how to access the disk management, I do know how to access the device manager though.

When I look inside its properties it's all blank and it doesn't show up as before. Especially the name. Before it was something like WD160GB ______ it just had a whole lot more stuff.

The properties description leaves a whole lot of blank spaces, too. I'll post an image.

http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wdhddtk7.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the list of the "Volumes" properties chart translated to avoid any confusions. See how they're all blank?

Disk
    Type
    State
    Style of partition
    Capacity
    Unassigned space
    Reserved Space

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

On Vista all you have to do is start typing in the search field "Disk M..." should pop right up as a choice.

6. ConsumingHatred

I have tried connecting it to my sister's XP Pro desktop and the same problem arises.

When I go to disk management it doesn't show the HDD on the list along with C: and D:, rather, when you look down it says something along the lines of "Disk 1 - Unknown - Not initialized"

Here's the picture

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=diskmanagewo5.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once I right-click and try to initialize the drive, an error comes up saying it can't because there's an error/problem E/S?

I don't know. Any suggestions?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To me that says either the enclosure or the hard drive in it has experienced a failure. You could take the hard drive out of the enclosure and tr it in another enclosure or with a USB to 2.5" IDE converter cable either of which you'd likely have to buy. Or if there's nothing on the drive that you need to recover then you could try getting warranty on the unit or replacing it.

8. Lola61

Lola61

I am having the exact same problem with my WD 160.....I am besides myself because I have to access a lot of my files there.....I NEED HELP!!!!:(

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice