1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD 2 TB my book is seen in device manager but unallocated

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by westiemom, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

Just before Christmas I shut down my pc down in the proper manner and when i returned home I booted up my pc and I could not access my WD My Book External drive. I searched the internet and found a guy on you tube say to get a new card the power and usb cables are pluged to. Ok so I get this card install it and NOPE I still can't. I go to disk manager and I see the drive but it says unallocated...ACK!!!!! my photos from camera and phones are in there. my family info... how do I get this back....is there and easy way??? Can't I just asign it a dive leter??? I thought this was a good way to archive my files since like the drive on my computer I put thing on and then remove and so that could wear it out...this drive I pretty much just save everything there and leave it. EXTRA QUESTION...If external drive is not reliable what should I use??? I used to do cd and then DVD as more room but had a dvd malfuntion so I went to the external. So maybe I should go back to the cd but then also save to external...X X fingers crossed someone can help me get my files back.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail. If the data is important to you, you make multiple backups on separate media.
    You are correct in that external drives are not as reliable as an internal drive. This is for a few reasons;
    1 Extra interface ie usb enclosure; another part that can fail
    2 Heat. External enclosures without a cooling fan are not designed for continuous duty. They are designed to switch ON and make a backup then OFF. If your enclosure has a cooling fan, then it can be used continuously
    3 Shock damage. Externals are often moved, plugged in and removed, etc

Some things you can try;
    1 Boot the system with a linux live usb/dvd. Very often linux will "See" a drive windows cannot. If successful, copy whatever you want
    2 Run the WD diagnostic software on the drive. Here is a link to the download page;
    https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=136&lang=en#WD_downloads
    The program is called data lifeguard

3. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

well no matter what recovery program I try I still can't get to see my files so I am saddly assuming it is toast :-( and I am not going to pay 700-1000+ to recover. My question now is I am going to buy an internal harddrive...what should I get? I have a question about sata 1, sata 11, sata 111 are the plugs different and can I use any of these? I am thinking 2, 3,or 4 TB in size
    Thanks to all who respond

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

For a spin drive, I use and recommend WD black series. The black series has dual motor heads or arms and dual processors AND a 5yr warranty. The blue or green series from WD are low end drives and not all that reliable. FWIW I have had drives from ALL mfg fail however I have never had a WD black or raptor drive fail. One black drive is in my in-laws system; at least 9yr old now and still working every day.

All drives now are sata3 and that is backwards compatible with sata2 ports on the motherboard. If you have a really old system with sata1, drives used to have a speed limit jumper however the new drives I have seen do not have a jumper.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice