1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD 40GB EIDE Beeping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toubib, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toubib

toubib Thread Starter

I took it out.

Suddenly WinXPsp2home gave blue screen and said no operating system together with simultaneous sudden onset of beeping noise from the drive itself (drive removed and connected externally). Noise attached here as .wma file zipped to conform with site rules.

I purchased an external dongle for the drive (2 wires, one is usb cable and other is power supply). The drive spins and the noise occurs with only the power cable connected alone.

I have installed a new HDD and reinstalled Windows. I wish to try to get some data off the drive if possible. Is there any advice you can give me? Does the noise tell you anything? What about the freezer trick?

Attached Files:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There are companies that do data recovery, you can Google for one as I can't recommend any off hand. This is where having a backup would have useful.

You could try the freezer trick, you could also give the drive a good solid tap on the side. One other option is that you could try to find the exact hard drive, and I mean it has to be 100% identical, and switch the circuit boards. But I think you'll find the problem is with the internal mechanics of the drive and professional recovery will be needed.

I've also split you off the other thread into your own.

3. toubib

toubib Thread Starter

thanks!! What about buying a used one exactly the same and trying to put the disks in it ?? Further, did you listen to the sound ?? What's with that ?? It does NOT sound mechanical...to me (the first part of the file you hear the drive spin up sounding normal ...then the beeping begins!!) ?? Wadda u think ?

4. toubib

toubib Thread Starter

found a pull for $34 ...is it worth a try ?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You cannot open the drive, you can switch the circuit boards though. If you open the drive you've decrease the chance of recovery greatly, such an operation needs to be done in a clean room and its why data recovery can cost do much. The sound is the arm trying to move and failing.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The drive has to 100% identical, you need to compare the model number and part numbers exactly, I'd also advise checking to see if the PCB looks the same and if they use the same chip. Drives can have the same model number but be a different revision number and have a completely different PCB layout.

7. toubib

toubib Thread Starter

ok ...first to the freezer!! thanks! (hmmm...I just noticed your avitar ...the maple leaf ...like a trident, eh? ...not a sceptre though...)

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do put the drive in a ziplock type bag. Remove as much air from the bag as possible and let it sit in the freezer for a few hrs. Now install it and see if you can access the info and copy it.

FWIW it sounds like the click of death to me.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice