1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD external 500gb hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cak7200, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cak7200

cak7200 Thread Starter

I went home from break from college and forgot my power chord to my external hard drive. I wanted to watch a movie on my drive and i found a power chord that fit except forgot to check to voltage. I gave the drive too much voltage. I think i burnt out my drive. I have a lot of valuable information on it so I need to get it working again. When I plug the real power chord a light flickers then goes off. I need to know how to fix the drive. Do I need to take it a part? Im pretty sure the hard drive it self will still be fine. Please Help me out!:confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If the drive is undamaged, you can connect ti to a desktop with a converter.

3. cak7200

cak7200 Thread Starter

What is a convertor? and where can I find one?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Remove the drive and see what size it is. Then get a converter from a computer store, newegg.com , or tigerdirect.com that will allow you to move it to the PC. It may be a 3.5" to IDE converter.

5. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

I am assuming you cooked the power supply for the external drive enclosure.

If you are lucky, the drive is IDE. You could remove the hard drive from the external enclosure and connect it directly to your IDE controller.

Make sure that both drives are jumpered for CS or you will need to make your internal drive the master and set the new drive as slave. Most hard drives have a jumper settings chart on the bottom.

Most drives also have a notch on one side of the connector array. Align the key on the IDE cable to that notch. If there is no notch or key, find the pin 1 location by looking at the bottom of the hard drive. Turn the connector so the red stripe is aligned with pin 1.

Align the ribbon cable connector to the pins on the back of the drive and push it onto the pins. Connect power.

Your system should see both drives once it boots.

As an alternative, buy an external drive case, remove the external drive from its case and install it into the new case. That may be the quickest and least hazardous option.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice