1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD external drive not accessible

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cyberdot, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyberdot

cyberdot Thread Starter

Hello, I have an HP dv6500 Notebook. I've been using an external hard drive (Western Digital) for years. It has over 130 GB of free space because I only use it to store my university course work and my published works (my most valued information). I plugged it in this morning to only find that it would not show up under "Computer" as WD (#) like it always had done.

This is what I have done to try to solve the situation:

Reboot
    Went to Computers, Properties, Device Manager. The drive shows up under Disk Drives as "WD 1600BEA External USB Device". AND under USB Serial Bus controllers as "USB Mass Storage Device". There is no yellow triangle with an exclamation mark and the drive is not assigned a letter.

SO, I went back to the disk drive and right clicked so that I could allocate a letter, but there are no options for this, only (Update, diable, unistall, scan for changes, and properties).

Then, I went Disk Management, scan disks to get a readout of my disks. The external shows up as; (#) 149.05 GB RAW. Healthy (Primary Partition). This reading took forever to list the external.

I have received a notice once that the drive could not be accessed because I do not have permission. The drive is write protected. (Don't know where this came from, but I've never had an issue before).

I hear a ding when I remove it from the USB port and a ding when it is plugged into the USB port.

It does not work on any of my computers. Two with Vista and one with Windows XP.

Please, someone be able to help me. I have assignments due this week by Thursday, and if I don't get access then I have to do them all over. Plus, my published books are on this drive. If I can get access and transfer then I can rest easy.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Have you tried removing all power from the drive for an hour, then try again?

One of my Seagate externals did exactly what yours did, I let it cool down over night with power disconnected, connected it back the next morning, copied some of my data off, but it went RAW on me again, so I put it in 2 layers of baggies and left it in the freezer for 1/2 hour, then set it in a small cooler of ice (baggies still on it) then I was able to finish copying data off of it (500gb), then I sent it back to Seagate for warranty.

I hope you are as lucky.

[​IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice