Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MoonlightRose

Hello guys,

After a long search that couldn’t solve my issue, I’ve decided to post here as my last chance.

I have a problem with my Western Digital external drive. The type is Western Digital My Passport Ultra external hard drive. My laptop is a Lenovo and has the Windows 10 latest update now.

The external drive doesn’t show on My Computer neither on Cmd at diskpart. At disk Management, it shown as Disk 1: Unknown and as space has 0Mb, sometimes it shown no space at all, but depends the time. The thing is that my drive is nearly 2TB, so 0Mb is impossible in every logical case. Also, checked the device Manager and went to disk driver to see if it's shown there. There it does show and also can be seen connected on quick start and gives me the option to safely disconnected.

The small light on the drive is on and I can hear the sounds the drive makes, normal like always. Plus, there is no outer hardware damage. The thing is that one on every 50 times I am trying to plug it in/out it works, so I can see my data still inside unharmed. Then when I go to open something heavier than a picture for example, it stuck and does not respond. That’s a very rare case though, just mention it in case it helps.

I thought that if I could see my files at least for a while, maybe the cable has a problem and not the drive. I changed it multiple times, but still not working. Even tried to plug it in on another computer with the same or other cord, but still the drive not responding. When I plug it in even though it shows connected, no auto-run occurs, but still that’s not the deal.

Downloading all the WD drivers and Lenovo drivers too, uninstalled them and then reinstalled them didn’t work either. Then got involved a little with the power that the USB entrance gives to each of my ports. Then i was thinking of taking a USB hub, but think won’t be of any use. I read many also about changing the amount of power allowing on the USB ports, but was afraid to touch farther the system, don’t want my drive to explode or anything.

I honestly don’t know what else am I missing and don’t know what to do anymore. I even downloaded some free wizard programs to scan my device and partitions, but this didn’t work either, in those programs the ext-drive doesn’t show too…. Shown or not the thing is that I cannot redirect my drive, rename and change the letter of the drive in any of the ways I’ve tried.

Experts are so expensive and can’t afford it at the moment, as I can’t afford losing my data inside the drive. If you could spend some time helping me solve the problem, I would appreciate it a lot!

Thank you in advance for your time!

I know the WD Passport drives well and for the most part they are very reliable. What concerns me in your Post is that you have tried connecting the drive with different USB cables and have also tried connecting it on a different computer. All with the same result.

That seems to indicate a problem with the drive itself. That problem could be mechanical, electronic or a corrupt file system.

If the files on the drive are important to you and if you do not have Backups of those files then it would probably be best to seek professional help. In that case I would first write to WD Support, who I have found to be very knowledgeable and helpful, and ask their advice as this issue might be something specific to the model of your drive. You will need to state in your email the Model and ID of the drive.

https://support.wdc.com/index.aspx?lang=en

T.

MoonlightRose

Thanks for taking time to reply!

I don’t know any more about the reliability of the WD hard drives. It seems that every time that I buy a WD it somehow ends up with a different problem… I changed many over the years and many different brands and all the others still work, even the really old ones. But, anyway this doesn’t matter now, just writing my experience.

As it considers the software part, I am sure I can’t do anything else myself and that seems not to be the problem anyway.

I think you are right that is probably mechanical, electronic or corrupted.

Well I could take corrupted off the list, because I am careful with my Pc and disk. At least not virus corrupted this I can tell. Maybe corrupted somehow else?

On the electronic part I can say that today I went and buy a USB HUB with external power and sadly didn’t make any difference. So, it’s not the power issue that I was thinking too.

Now on the mechanical part, at least the thing I can try and do is to change the external box of the drive with the new one or try to rearrange the existing on. Maybe the disk inside does not connect right with the portal outside. I will try it too and let you know.

Lastly, yes the data inside are important, otherwise I wouldn’t be in so much trouble trying to fix it up. Plus, you can realize that is not an easy thing to have a back-up of 2 TB. I do have some on my other drives, but not an adequate amount.

Thanks for the link too, but I already tried through the WD page, followed the steps and send an additional private e-mail to the support. The thing is that WD do not recover data and as it’s not in warranty anymore, I need to pay a lot of money and spend a long time waiting for the physical product back. Finally, they couldn’t say without physically seeing the product even though I was very analytic. They said that many things could trigger the problem and the line of the product didn’t have any malfunction as they know of.

What could I say?? It’s just my luck… If I find any solution I will post it!

Thanks again!

To some extent I agree with your comment about WD drives. I too have had issues with WD HDD's. However, I have never had an issue with their Passport range of drives which seem to be of a much higher quality than their normal hard disks.

Don't take "corrupted file system" off the list just yet. There are many reasons why a file system can become corrupted. A spike in the power supply; or a brief termination of power while reading from or writing to the disk; or a hard knock to the casing; or a corrupt write by Windows to the MFT..... any of these can cause a corrupt file system.

T.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online