1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD External Hard Drive No longer Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sberb, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sberb

sberb Thread Starter

I have a WD external HD that I have used for several years as a backup drive. It's a WD3200. It recently disappeared from my list of available drives. I checked in on several computers with the same result. I cannot see it listed among the drives in my computer or explorer, but I can see it listed in the devices. When I plug it in, I can hear the drive wind up and then slow down. The computer chimes repeatedly, acting as if it is recognized over and over. I checked it under Disk Management and each time the computer gives the chime, it briefly shows up as a listed drive then disappears so fast that I cannot read the info on it. Suggestions?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

I would extract the drive from the enclosure and connect it internally directly to a desktop machine and see if it is recognized and works. If the drive works connected internally to a desktop machine then the problem is most likely a problem with the enclosure interface adapter.

3. sberb

sberb Thread Starter

Thank you. When I pop open the external hd, Will the connection to the external hard drive be the same as standard Hard drive cable in the desktop?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

If it is an older external drive it likely will have either an IDE or SATA interface drive, however you won't know that until you extract the drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1038428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice