1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD external hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nyxm, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nyxm

Nyxm Thread Starter

I am running Windows 7 on a Compaq laptop and have a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive that I have used successfully for about a year now. I tried to use it tonight and I can't see it in My Computer. However, the safely remove icon shows up and I can see the hard drive in devices and printers. I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it and rebooting, and nothing. As a last resort, I used a Linux liveCD, and WAH-LAH!! Works like the day I bought it. I hate the thought of getting out a liveCD every time I want to use the hard drive and switching the OS isn't an option. What can I do to get it to work in Windows?

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

Have you done a disk check lately to make sure there are no errors in the system itself causing the issues?

3. Nyxm

Nyxm Thread Starter

I have been using avast! antivirus and Advance System Care to keep the system "optimized". Would the disk check be covered under the Advance System Care?

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

windows scan disk for errors is generally located under Properties when you right click on your C Drive.
    It's under the Tool tab, and then under the Check Now click the fix errors etc., restart and let windows go the it's blue screen where you will see it scanning and checking itself.

5. Nyxm

Nyxm Thread Starter

I checked the disk with windows and with the utility provided with Advance System Care and both of them said there are no problems with the disk.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Advanced System Care includes a registry cleaner that will damage and cripple your machine. It may already be responsible for this problem. It has probably already slowed down your system.

Check the drive's condition in Disk Management. It may have a corrupted partition.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

or go to Start > Run, and type:

diskmgmt.msc

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice