1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD External Hard Drive Recovering Unallocated Space

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimwd, May 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimwd

jimwd Thread Starter

Hi,

I am hoping that my problem is easy to solve.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

WD My Passport Ultra 3.0 USB 1 TB.

Has Two Partitions
    Using Windows 7 Disk Management:

First partition reads:
    (D:)
    32 GB RAW
    Healthy (Active, Primary Partition.)
    Second partition reads:
    899.48 GB
    Unallocated.
    I have recovered my files from the second partition using Puran File Recovery.

What do I need to do so that I can again save files etc under the second partition?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The first partition is also unuseable in a RAW state (unless you want/need it that way for some reason).

In any case, as there is no data on the drive, I would delete both partitions, create a new single partition using the entire drive, and then format. After which the drive will be useable.

3. jimwd

jimwd Thread Starter

Hi Oddba11,

Thank you for replying so fast.
    Can you tell me how to carry out the action you suggest.
    Thanks.

4. ronbel

ronbel

The Disk Management tool is what you need to delete existing partitions, create a new one and format it.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

Highlight the partition, right click, and choose delete (do this for each partition).

Partitioning your drive
    To format an internal or external hard drive to use for backup or additional storage, the drive needs to be partitioned. Partitioning divides your drive into sections, but you can choose to simply have one partition (a single section encompassing the entire drive).

If your drive isn't partitioned, follow these instructions to partition it. Otherwise, skip down to the next section.

Right-click the black bar or the unallocated white space below it and select New Simple Volume… Don't be dissuaded by the word, "Volume." It's just another term for "partition". Click Next.

To create a single, whole-drive partition, make sure the "Simple volume size in MB" value is the same as the "Maximum disk space in MB" value. Click Next.

Assign a drive letter of your choice. Click Next.

Select Format this volume. For File System, choose NTFS if you’ll be using the drive only with Windows machines. If you will be sharing the information on the drive with Macs, choose exFAT. Keep Allocation unit size at Default.Choose a name for the partition under Volume label. Do not select Perform a quick format or Enable file and folder compression. Click Next.

Confirm your selections and click Finish.

Formatting your partitions
    Once your drive is partitioned, each partition will have to be formatted with a filesystem. Luckily, the Disk Management utility makes this really easy.

Right-click the blue bar or the white space below it and select Format.

Choose a name for the partition under "Volume label." For File System, choose NTFS if you’ll be using this drive only with Windows machines. Linux machines can read unencrypted NTFS partitions as well.

If you will be sharing the information on this drive with Macs, choose exFAT. Keep "Allocation unit size" at Default. Do not select Perform a quick format or Enable file and folder compression. Click OK.

Confirm your choices.

6. jimwd

jimwd Thread Starter

Hi again Oddba 11,

Thank you all for your advice.

I deleted the first partition and created a simple volume, within this process the drive was formatted NFTS.

Drive is now working fine.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice