1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wd hard drive locked?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dwel, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dwel

Dwel Thread Starter

I have a wd 3200 sata hdd. i have been using it for about a year or so for backups. I now have a problem with it.

If it is plugged in at post i get a bios error and am forced into setup.
    If it is not plugged in I get No errors.

Windows no longer recognizes the drive. the drive does not spin up.
    Linux recognizes the drive and all files are still present. the drive is fully functional.

The bios does not acknowledge the drive
    But it does indicate that there is 'something' attached to sata3 or 2 or whatever channel i am trying at the momment.

2. Dwel

Dwel Thread Starter

Does anybody have an idea about this ?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

How can Linux read it if it "does not spin up"?

Do you have fresh backups of all the files on that drive?

4. Dwel

Dwel Thread Starter

If i plug the power to the drive in after the post, linux recognizes the drive. The same procedure will fail in windows. Let me rephrase my original post; While in windows the drive does not spin up.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Windows has nothing to do with powering the drive, so it has nothing to do with it spinning up, either. Must just be an amazing coincidence. But then, how would anyone know if the drive is spinning? Is it a transparent case?

6. Dwel

Dwel Thread Starter

Windows can turn the power to the hdd off during hibernation if you so choose to do so, no? So I would say it has a little bit more than nothing to do with it.

Wow, i feel like im getting grilled here. Ya its made of glass. but really, can you not feel or listen to detect the subtle hum and vibration of a spinning drive? freekishly enough, I can.

All of the data is still present and accounted for, but like I said, only in linux, and more specifically, sabayon, which is based off of gentoo; if this means anything. Luckily enough, I triple boot.

I can not have power going to it during post, or i get forced into setup. Which is rather annoying.

7. Dwel

Dwel Thread Starter

Anybody?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You post the bios does not ID the drive. The bios has nothing to do with windows, linux or any other os. If the drive is not found in the bios, there is a problem with the drive's electronics or hardware.

Have you run the WD diagnostic on the drive?

9. Dwel

Dwel Thread Starter

Yes I have run WD diagnostics. The windows based software will not detect the drive, the dos based will, only if i plug in the power directly after post.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The only one to use is the dos based. You do not post what the result of the full tests were on the drive.

Just from this part
    I would tend to think your drive has failed.

11. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The drive is certainly faulty, BUT .....
    I have, and often do, use Windows to access drives that cannot be recognised by the BIOS. I wouldn't want to do it often or rely on the results. Remember Windows uses drivers that bypass the BIOS routines and are far more complex. That is one reason why you should physically disable a second drive if you don't want Windows to 'see' it rather than just disabling it in the BIOS (I've learned THAT one the hard way)

The manufacturers disk utilities will access disks that the BIOS will not/cannot see.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice