1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD Hardrive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CoasterFreak, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak Thread Starter

First Name:
    Everett
    Heyy all. I just built a PC for someone and now I'm having problems. The Hard Drive is Western Digital 160 GB Hard Drive. The drive came with one of those PCI Controller cards. Anyway, when I turn the computer on, the HD makes a clicking sound and then it powers itself off, then it powers itself on again, keeps clicking and then powers off for good. Does this mean there is a problem witht the hard drive, or do I just have something configured wrong. This also happened when I first got the hard drive, but then it stopped after I turned the PC off and then back on. Now it will keep clicking and then power itself off. I cannot even boot to windows. Any help is appreciated. Thanx.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Take the 160 out and put the original in. If it works then the 160 is defective. Did you use the controller and cable supplied with the drive?

3. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    yea i used ONLY the stuff that was included with the card. Although, I may have used the wrong cable so I will try different cables (i have a few). Ill write back, thanx Rockn. BTW, that was the only hard drive, there was no other one.

4. djrock

djrock

Hello thugedout I recently bought a WD 160GB special edition hard drive and it did the similar thing you are talking about the clicking the powering off and on. Does it have a loud whine noise. I took it back to the shop and got it replaced it was defective.

djrock

5. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    I'm going to be taking the hard drive back tomorrow to get it replaced. It has to be defective. Because it starts clicking and then i turn the PC off for like 10 minutes. When I turn it back on its perfect. I know its defecitve now. Thanx.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice