1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD HD No Longer Recognized By Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sarge00, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sarge00

Sarge00 Thread Starter

I have a 250GB Western Digital EIDE internal drive which I have installed in an external casing so as to connect to my laptop through a USB 2.0 cord. My drive is relatively new (less than six months old) and has been working beautifully since I got it. Until now. All of a sudden, when I plug it in (or turn it on), the Windows XP chime sounds (denoting the presence of a new peripheral) and my laptop's internal drive (80GB WD) begins to hum as it always has, getting ready to autoload the data.

However, all of a sudden it no longer autoloads. Nor does Windows Explorer display its presence as it always has. The external drive just sits there, humming along, the nice little blue light lit up (a sign that its recieving power) and absolutely no abnormal noises (I'm well aware that when a hard drive dies, there is usually a clicking noise).

The external is recognized under my devices, and when right-clicking its properties, it says "Your device appears to be working properly." (or whatever the default Windows line is). I can go into Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> Storage >> Disk Management and its displayed as alive and "Healthy".

I've even tried viewing it in the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools and it will correctly report its free/used space.

I've tried using other programs such as Microsoft Word and VLC Media Player to browse to my external files, (now here's the weird part), all I find is ANOTHER "Local Disk" labeled "Local Disk (U)" (my real boot disc is my internal and it is labeled "Local Disk (C)"). When I try right-clicking on it in browse, and check properties, it returns a 0/0 (meaning no space period).

Better yet, when I try to double-click the "Local Disk (U)" icon, I get a "System cannot find the specified path." Error and can't go any further.

Finally, when I "Safely Remove Hardware", there it is, and when I "Stop" its activity, I get the regular Windows chime denoting that the peripheral has been disconnected.

None of this adds up. I mean, its relatively new, I keep it in a well-ventilated case, in a relatively cool room. It does not undergo any day-to-day abuse or even movement for that matter and its only on about 1 hour per day. I can't believe it to be a hardware issue. But I'm desperate for help here. I have over 200GB of personal data and I'd hate to lose it to confusion...

Please, any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

-Sarge00

2. happyrck

happyrck

try connecting the usb drive to a different computer...no joy ....you might want to take it out of the external housing and put it in a working computer ( slave it)..see if you can access your data and back it up in case the drive is dying..

3. Sarge00

Sarge00 Thread Starter

If the drive is indeed dying, then would there be a difference in performance between using it externally rather than internally?

I'll try hooking it up to a different computer! Anyone else?

-Sarge00

4. Sarge00

Sarge00 Thread Starter

After some serious Googling, I found the problem to be a discrepency in the drive letters. I reassigned the letter to "W" and everything works beautifully again! Mods, please allow this thread to die :).

-Sarge00

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice