1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved WD HDD Capacity Question ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BearKiller, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

Why do my shiny new WD Blue 2TB HDDs in external enclosures only show up as having 1863 GB; that is 137 GB less than I expected ? (Windows 7 if that has any relevance)

Thanks for reading.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is normal. The drive mfg counts size one way and the operating system counts it another way [binary]
    It is fine.

3. BearKiller

Thanks so much; I was afraid I may have done something wrong.

However, it is sort of a let down that they advertise a certain capacity when in reality what you get is considerably less --- oh well.......

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That's normal.
    You have to multiply the marketing capacity by .931 to get its true capacity.

Your new SATA hard drive has a marketing capacity of 2 TB(2000 GB)
    2000 GB
    X .931 = 1862 GB

Another example is why these SATA hard drives have these true capacities:
    1 TB(1000 GB) > 931 GB
    750 GB > 698 GB
    500 GB > 465 GB

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  5. BearKiller

Thanks for the math; I was unaware of that formula; I will record that info somewhere where I can't find it the next time I need it.

It would appear that buying HDDs is akin to buying cattle across a crooked set of scales; you don't actually get what you pay for.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You get what you pay for. You purchased a 2TB drive and the operating system uses a different method of calculating size ie binary vs base10.

7. BearKiller

Back fifty or so years ago, I was a whiz at math and I seem to remember the word binary, but I don't think the teacher knew enough about it so she just sort of skipped over it.

This discussion has gotten my curiosity stirred up and I may read up on this binary and base10 business.

I appreciate you guys explaining this to me; when I first saw that 137 GB discrepancy, I was afraid that I had messed up.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, you did not mess up. There was even a class action lawsuit a number of years ago regarding just this issue. It has been a LONG time however as I recall, the drive mfgs had to pay some small amount to each person that signed up to be part of the class action.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice