1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD IDE HD is not recognized anymore.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buddhistgrandma, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buddhistgrandma

buddhistgrandma Thread Starter

I have a WD 160gb IDE HD. The computer originally came with a SATA drive, but that drive kicked the bucket, and I got a new drive. Previously, after the manufacturer's logo loading screen finished, a prompt would pop up saying that the disk wasn't found, and press f1 to continue, or press f2 for the setup utility. When I pressed f1, it loaded my disk fine.

This morning, I had to reinstall my OS. After installing many drivers, I had to restart to get the drivers to take effect. Suddenly, the disk would no longer load. The computer wont find the disk at all. I've checked all the wiring, and it all seems to be in place. After the manufacturers logo screen, a prompt comes up listing the types of drives (SATA, Primary, Secondary) and saying that they were not found. When I press f1 to continue, it tells me "No boot device available. Strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility." Under BIOS options, the drive is "unknown".

Does anyone know anything that I might try to get this device working again? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and a solution that solves my problem would make me get down on my knees and [​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. cancon

cancon

Did you ever get the new HD working?

Some BIOSes don't recognise HDs above a certain capacity.

3. buddhistgrandma

buddhistgrandma Thread Starter

I had this HD working for about 6 months. Its not a new acquisition.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/817961