Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WD My Book - not recognized by Windows

763 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250u Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3835 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 921 GB (866 GB Free); E: 149 GB (101 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0DPRF9
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I have a 500 GB WD drive - from 2011. I would like to make an image backup on it but Windows doesn't recognize it. I downloaded the software for it and that installed o.k. but it is not listed on the computer screen. Only C drive and the DVD drive. WD has suggested that I may have a cable problem. Any thoughts? Thanks.

#3 ·
Hi - it powered up as in lights lit. It doesn't show up anywhere that you mention- device manager or disk management. WD has offered to send me a cable to see if that will do it. When you say usb enclosure I assume you are talking about the drive enclosure. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll post after I try the cable.

#5 ·
I'm still waiting for the cable. I'll post if and when it arrives and works! Another question on this drive issue. Before using Macrium image software, do you need to format the backup drive you are putting it on? I have seen both sides - one says ok to install w/o formatting - another says no -- must format. Would like your input. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.