1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD my Passport external HDD not being recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DJ_Nicol, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ_Nicol

DJ_Nicol Thread Starter

Hi,

I was using my external hdd to transfer a bunch of files when it stopped working mid transfer. When I plug it in now the drive starts whirring and the lights come on, sometimes it will pop up in the corner of the screen saying new hardware detected, but its nowhere to be found in 'My Computer'. I have tried to manually assign the drive a drive letter, but it doesn't show up in disk management.

I took the drive to the local computer service guy who tried to put it in a different caddy, but he said because it was WD it had an unusual port which wasn't comparable with his.

Has anyone else had a similar issue, any ideas how to solve it?

Thanks

Dave

2. DJ_Nicol

DJ_Nicol Thread Starter

Should say, the drive is less than a year old, but I guess WD wouldn't fix it under warranty because the casing has now been opened? I don't mind losing the drive if I can get the data off of it.

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Sure worth a call to WD to see what they say...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1073946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice