1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD Passport 80GB lost drive letter, partition, 0MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ksiaze, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ksiaze

Ksiaze Thread Starter

I switch on my computer typically as every morning. This time I lost my extended WD Passport 80 MB. No letter drive.

I check in Device Manager. Disk is recognize, but shows
    Type - Unknown
    Status - Unreadable
    Partition Style - Not Applicable
    Capacity - 0 MB
    Unallocated Space - 0 MB
    Reserved Space - 0 MB

Looks like a Master Boot Records gone. Addictionaly it shows me FAT 12 .

I have no idea what's happened.

When drive starts make it sounds like a "turn few times". I didn't hear it before. Is it mechanically corrupted, or just lost partitions ?

2. Ksiaze

Ksiaze Thread Starter

I start with Partition Recovery, and I'm trying recover data. But guess what? It founds plenty partitions fat12, fat16 and fat32. Still working on it. Let you know. I hope, I will be able to recover my data.

... after one hour...

Nothing helped. Under Patrition Magic it shows no partition at all. I have two choices 1. reformat disk and lost data or 2. put to thrash and never again WD Passport. :(

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Hardware fails. That doesn't mean every Western Digital Passport drive is garbage. It happens.

4. Ksiaze

Ksiaze Thread Starter

Well, any hard drive should never fail. If it fails, that mean you never will feel safe.

I put it on SATA - shows DISK ERROR and system won't start. Bios doesn't recognize them. That probably mean disk has crashed. Still looking for resolve...

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    So what you are saying is that because it is a hard drive, it should last forever? It is an Electromechanical device, ANy thing that has mechanical parts can wear out. This is why we always stress the importance of at least 2 back ups of any data that you have. That would be two backs each on a separate device.

6. Ditchster

Ditchster

If you intend to restore the WD drive to its factory defaults (inc bundled software) then you will find a restore program on their support web site:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

If you don't mind using the periodorical backup utilities supplied by WD or Vista - then i would sudgest that you make DVD backups periodorically of your data aswell as previously sudgested.

If though you use your computer for productivity and require a better, hassle free backup solution - then you will not go wrong by getting a copy of Goodsync installed (like i have) which allows backing up of any folder upon shut down of your computer.

7. Ksiaze

Ksiaze Thread Starter

Thank you for advice.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!