1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD Passport external hard drive = problems with back up

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mygenericemail, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mygenericemail

mygenericemail Thread Starter

Hello:

I was given a WD Passport external hard drive to back up my pc on. I have a Windows 8.1 computer.

No instructions came with this WD device, so I contacted WD support. They said since my pc is Windows, I would have to contact Windows to find out how to format and back up my pc on this external hard drive.

The only instructions I find online are for Windows 7, and the Windows site itself has NO information on Windows 8/8.1 external hard drive back up instructions.

I got online to Windows tech help, and all they did was copy and past info for the Windows 7 external hard drive info, which does me no good, since nothing on Win 8.1 is where it's supposed to be, or named what it's supposed to be named.

How do I back up my pc to this WD Passport external hard drive device? Supposedly I have it formatted already for Windows, so all I should have to do is save my pc on it.....but I don't know how on this screwed up Win 8.1.

Can anybody tell me simple step by step instructions on how to back up my pc on this external drive?:confused:

Thanks

2. joe957

joe957

3. mygenericemail

mygenericemail Thread Starter

Thanks, but I have no idea what options to use setting this up.

This is why I need step by step instructions. I do not know what these options are for, much less which ones to choose in setting this thing up.

4. joe957

joe957

That is why I provided the link I did. I backed up my HD using Method 1 of 6: PC. Yes it does take a long time after you click 'turn on'. Lost use of computer for 1 day. Worked fine and have had no problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!