1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD passport ultra crashed after a large delete attempt.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eteen, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eteen

eteen Thread Starter

My bad, should have done it one folder at a time. Now my pc does not recognize it except as drive e: and will not open it. I am willing to reformat the drive . Will I ever be able to trust this drive again?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

You should still be able to use it if you hadn't encountered any bad sectors. Just gotta remember that USB drives are slower

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Run the WD diagnostic on the drive. If it passes ALL tests [both long and short] you should be able to use the drive.
    All drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail. If you value your data files, you make multiple backups on separate media. As an example, I backup financial/banking records to two internal drives, a third copy on my NAS, and a fourth copy on an external that sits in my gun safe when not being used. Overkill? Maybe however it only takes once losing important records to make you paranoid about backups.

4. eteen

eteen Thread Starter

When WD drive crashed it became not visible to either of my laptops so I think it will have to become a part of my planned brick path through my garden. I can't run WD diagnostic or format.
    Seriously, it was only used a handful of times, probably no more than 6 month old. I have not lost the information on it, it was a back up.

5. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

What type of system do you have? What is the size of your external drive? What does Disk Management tell you when you look at the drive there? If the problem is with the system files in the primary partition, you can try to repair them. Look at the following link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system. If that doesn't work, since your data was a backup, you should be able to simply clean and reformat the drive. You can use the diskpart command in Windows to list, select and clean the drive. Then read the article in the following link on how to partition and format a Western Digital drive in Windows: https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=3865&s=#win7. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice