1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WD5000c032 external drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brirwood, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brirwood

Brirwood Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 6133 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 596475 MB, Free - 448532 MB; D: Total - 14001 MB, Free - 1973 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, Benicia, 1.01, MS1C95R42803303
    Antivirus: Avanquest Double Anti-Spy, Not Updated

Have WD500 GB External drive with usb connection. Drive lights up but pc does not recognize drive with either XP or Vista (64bit). Tried different usb cables but still dive not seen. WD site says just reformat drive but if I can't see the drive how can I access it. Any suggestions are appreciated

2. domasmak

domasmak

Is the device visible in Disk Management?

You can view this by opening Computer Management (Right click on Computer - Manage - Disk Management) You should be able to reformat the drive from there if it is visible.

3. Brirwood

Brirwood Thread Starter

Drive does not show in disk management or in device manager or in computer. Does not beep when connected to pc. XP or Vista OSs do not see drive. Case does not have any easy way to open to remove drive. I will try freezer method to see if I can "unstick" it

4. Brirwood

Brirwood Thread Starter

Freezer method did not unstick the drive. Tried the "drop test" but still no response from the drive. Trying to remove drive from enclosure but that is not easy. Don't want to use force to ruin the enclosure. Drive lights up but there is no response from the PC OSs. Drive does not feel like it is spinning. Seems like the only use now is as a door stop.

5. highspeed

highspeed

Tried it in another system? Also try a different OS.

6. gleites

gleites

I also have the same problem - tried different computers, OSes, cables ... The drive starts working but computer doesn't recognize it :(

7. highspeed

highspeed

When i went to the shop to buy an external hard drive, that was the only available ones there and I needed it urgently so I bought it and I bought it for the fact that it had a drive lock encryption on it but the connection is very bad. WD made their own special USB cable connection for it and also the most annoying part is that you can't open the drive enclosure so easily. It's very very very hard if you try it. I don't know if forcing it would render the drive useless but if I were you "Brirwood", since it doesn't work anymore after several methods of troubleshooting, I would try and take off the enclosure no matter what, just take the risk and see if you can open it.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

How is the drive powered?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!