Solved We couldn't complete the updates

LUIS39

You're confusing me.
Your log shows your computer is a HP which has an Intel Core i5 processor.
You're saying your computer is a Dell which has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.
❓

You're confusing me.
Your log shows your computer is a HP which has an Intel Core i5 processor.
You're saying your computer is a Dell which has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.
❓
I had to unmark SOLVED to UNSOLVED because I'm back to square one: "We couldn't complete the updates Undoing changes Don't turn off your computer."

Here's the current
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210214193631.000000-480
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Hard Drives: C: 460 GB (369 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1495, s/n 2UA2220ZMK
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 2UA2220ZMK
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

The only difference is that the WINDOWS UPDATE page shows:

"You're up to date." Last checked today, 5:26 am

Eventually, the computer restarted and is functioning quite normally.

Can you please check what is happening? How can it fail to install the current updates and still state that "You're up to date."

As always, thanks

LUIS39

At least it is working (y)
I had to unmark SOLVED to UNSOLVED because I'm back to square one: "We couldn't complete the updates Undoing changes Don't turn off your computer."

Here's the current
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210214193631.000000-480
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Hard Drives: C: 460 GB (369 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1495, s/n 2UA2220ZMK
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 2UA2220ZMK
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

The only difference is that the WINDOWS UPDATE page shows:

"You're up to date." Last checked today, 5:26 am

Eventually, the computer restarted and is functioning quite normally.

Can you please check what is happening? How can it fail to install the current updates and still state that "You're up to date."

thanks

crjdriver

Already given you a possible explanation in post #10 along with what I would do.

LUIS39

OK, I'll try that after I hear from flavallee I don't want to muddy the issue.

Thanks very much!

LUIS39

One thing I see right off from the support page for your system, win10 is not a supported operating system. What this means is that hp never tested win10 and found it to work with your system. In addition, hp does not want to waste time writing drivers and testing with obsolete hardware. The i5 2500 is now over 10yr old.

When you run an unsupported operating system, you are in effect a beta tester; might work and it might not work. Often when attempting upgrades, you run into problems.
What I would do;
1 Have a current backup of anything important
2 Download the media creation tool Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)
3 Make the bootable usb and use it to boot your system
4 Select custom install and delete ALL partitions on the system drive
5 Clean install windows and copy back whatever data files you need
I was away so I just tried this method that really reinstalled windows 10 and solved the problem but caused some new problems.

MS EDGE dId not allow me to install MS OFFICE so I had to install a freebie program to be able to open my docs. Also, it does not allow me to set GOOGLE as my default browser. How can I install MS OFFICE?

Also, can I get rid of MS EDGE-I really don't like it?

Thanks.

crjdriver

Is this office web based OR a regular version of office with a setup file ie office 2016 or 2019?
Edge is built on google chrome so it should be somewhat similar. There are some settings in edge such as startup boost, and run in the background that cause problems [for me] I just turn those OFF in Edge settings>system.
As to whether or not you can uninstall edge completely, I believe it can be done however it requires the use of the command prompt ie CLI.

I did find this method however NO guarantee that it will work nor any guarantee that it will not break something else;

How to remove Microsoft Edge from Windows 10 | Windows Central

LUIS39

You could certainly attempt an in place upgrade. I am just not a fan of upgrades; I much prefer a clean install.
After the upgrade (Re-installation), which solved the initial problem, other issues arose that have since been corrected. So, after many attempts, I did reinstall MS Office

Thanks for your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online