1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

weak power supply killing my usb ports?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonypham, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonypham

tonypham Thread Starter

I had a power supply issue a few months ago. My dad replaced it with a new POWORK 600W power supply but since then we've noticed that the USB ports no longer function properly. We'll plug a device in but some devices aren't recgnozed at all. Some will but will show the "USB device not recognized error." Others will show the error message too but not work. The motherboard is a Intel Desktop Board D945GCNL. Does anyone know why this might be?

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Is that a USB 2.0 hub that you are using? And does it have an external power supply? It is one of the few things remaining that I can think of: the USB hub is USB 1.1 or the overall power consumption on the USB is causing problems...Was your previous PSU 600 watts?
    Here's a few fixes:

You can try unplugging the USB device, waiting a few seconds and plugging it back, but chances are the error will remain.
    Another error message that is common is the message Unrecognized device has been found.
    When you open the Windows Device Manager from the Control Panel, you will generally see the USB device under the Other devices or Unknown devices category.
    [​IMG]

Here are a few other tries (Hope it helpes)

• If you are getting a USB not recognized error when you are trying to connect a mobile phone or MP3 player, check the configuration options on the device itself. The settings often allow the device to be configured as a Mass Storage Device, which can solve the problem.
    • Check the BIOS of your computer to make sure the USB ports are configured properly. Most new USB devices work best with the USB 2.0 configuration, but in some cases you might need to change the USB to “legacy” support, which means version 1.1.
    • Disable the power management of all USB hubs on your computer. This can sometimes help with certain USB devices, especially if the problem happens with power state changes (resume from hibernation for example).
    • In the Device Manager, right-click the Universal Serial Bus controllers device and select Uninstall in the popup menu. Now reboot and Windows will reinstall the device.
    • In case you are using a USB hub, try plugging the USB device directly into the computer instead of in the USB hub. USB hubs often cause compatibility problems with certain USB devices. The cause can be the USB version compatibility or a USB power limitation.
    • Try shutting down the computer altogether and unplug it from the power supply. Wait for a few minutes before plugging it back again and starting it.
    http://www.pcauthorities.com/drivers/usb-device-not-recognized/

3. tonypham

tonypham Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I tried all of the following without any luck. I should note I am not using a USB hub and am plugging directly into the PC.

1. When I went into the BIOS i actually had USB Ports, USB 2.0, and USB Legacy all enabled, so it wasn't as though one was enabled over the other.
    2. Updated my BIOS
    3. Updated my motherboard's chipset drivers
    4. Uninstalled the USB devices in Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall them
    5. Unplugging my power supply for 20 minutes.

It's a POWORK 600W power supply it says so I don't know why this should be happening?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

I really wouldn't expect much from a $21 600 watt power supply.

5. tonypham

tonypham Thread Starter

But could a power supply be so ****** so as to prevent USB ports from functioning properly?

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Absolutely. USB operates off the +5v rail and if it is weak, the ports won't function properly. The output range on the +5v rail should be 4.75v-5.25v.

7. tonypham

tonypham Thread Starter

Interesting. Can you explain what the "5v rail" is?

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a VERY low quality pw supply. When I checked the specs it only has 24amp on a single 12V rail. This part of the spec is particularly telling
    I would NOT continue to use that pw supply; you are asking for problems.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice