1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weak power supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RayW, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

Is it possible that a motherboard would have trouble booting or posting with 200watt psu.. The manual for the board says a min of 350w but I'm not going to be running a lot of peripherals.. Thanks RayW :)

2. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Without a complete listing of the peripherals that you will actually have installed it will be impossible to give a valid reply.

3. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

its not hooked up to any peripherals, just monitor and keyboard When i start the board i get a checking nvram and then it hangs. Cant even enter bios. Its a new board and is working.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Many modern processors consume 60-80 watts, and you have to take into consideration the efficiency of the two switching P/S stages in front of them.

Another factor to consider is that your old 200 watt P/S probably doesn't have sufficient power on the right outputs, since the +5V leg is pretty lightly loaded with newer machines.

I suspect that you need a new P/S...

5. Arcadion

Arcadion

You need a 350W just to power the CPU, is what the manual is saying. A 200W doesn't provide enough power on the 3.3V/5V rails that the CPU draws power from.

6. JohnWill

Actually, if you look at modern motherboards, the processor is powered from the +12V power supply leg. Note that for the P4, that's the reason for the extra 4 pin connector with 12V and GND on it.

7. Arcadion

Arcadion

They didn't mention what motherboard or processor they were using.

8. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

new SOYO sy k7vm333 v1.0 with... athlon 1.4 ghz 200 mhz

9. JohnWill

I'm pretty sure that either the AMD or Intel MB's now use +12V to power the processor's switching P/S, so the processor doesn't really matter. It's more efficient to use the higher voltage as imput to the switching supply, which is the reason for the choice.

10. gaftop1

gaftop1

they say use 350 watts for a reason. if the specs say use this or use that. probably a good idea to do it .

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice