1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weak WiFi in Rental

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gohogs20, Aug 20, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Gohogs20

Gohogs20 Thread Starter

Hi all,
    My girlfriend and I are renting an Airbnb for work over the next 4 months. The wifi is strong enough to stream Netflix and Hulu through the smart TV at times and at other times it buffers more than it will play. I also am unable to connect through the google Chromecast to cast video from my phone. It takes forever to load a video from facebook or twitter on my phone through the wifi as well. In the future I would like to be able to connect with an xbox or PlayStation to game through the internet. My question is, will buying a wifi range extender take care of these problems and if so how large of a boost will I need?
    Thank you!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have given zero information relevant to your question. My useless guess, if you want it, is "NO."

3. Gohogs20

Gohogs20 Thread Starter

Well I’m clearly not a tech guy. That’s why I’m here. Thought that’s kind of what this forum was for. No need to be snarky. What information would be relevant?....

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you say that "The wifi is strong enough" are you talking about signal strength or bandwidth?

What download/upload speeds (bandwidth) does the ISP say you should be getting?

What speeds are you getting (using something like Speedtest.net) with an ethernet connection to the router? With a wireless connection near the router? At the locations that you are trying to use your devices?

What's the Wi-Fi signal strength near the router? At the locations where you are trying to use your devices? If there is a drop in signal strength is it because of distance or obstacles?

5. Gohogs20

Gohogs20 Thread Starter

When I say that "The wifi is strong enough" I'm strictly saying that it will play.

I have no idea how to tell what what the ISP says I should be getting.

From speedtest.net
    (8-20-19)- Ping: 638 ms, Download: 8.06 Mbps Upload: 0.69 Mbps
    (8-21-19)- Ping: 740 ms, Download: 0.50 Mbps Upload: 0.61 Mbps
    The stats on the 20th were while everything seemed to be working and the 21st when things were working slow or not at all.

The distance isn't the problem. We are in a very small cabin and the TV is near the router. I was just wondering if a wifi range extender would amplify the wifi signal in close range as well as make it where the signal can be reached at a further distance?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No. A range extender rebroadcasts the signal, yielding greater range at the cost of speed. It's possible that it broadcasts a stronger signal, but any router that cannot handle "a very small cabin" needs to be replaced.

8 Mbps download should be enough to handle streaming a HD movie or playing a game, but not much else at the same time. However, the anemic 0.69 upload may be enough to ruin the not-much-more-than adequate download speed.

7. Gohogs20

Gohogs20 Thread Starter

I have edited the stats from the 21st. Typing error on my part. Why would those stats be so drastically different at different times?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some possibilities include ...

ISP problem.
    Modem or router problem.
    Wireless interference (assuming the measuring device connected via Wi-Fi).
    Other device(s) using the (local area) network.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Who is the ISP? Call them and find out what speed has been paid for.
    It might turn out to be that the cabin owner paid for the slowest speed possible. If it is dsl rather than cable, the distance from the station also matters.
    If it is cable rather than dsl, it depends on how many other people in the vicinity have the same provider and how many are active at a given time.

You might have to face the fact that the internet provided by the AirBnB is poor.

10. Gohogs20

Gohogs20 Thread Starter

I believe it is through Hughes Net. I completely get that they may not be paying for great service. Just trying to find a way that I could boost it without messing with what they are already paying for.

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Here's what I found for HughsNet Satellite Service.
    $69.99/month for 20GB of data. If you exceed that, you stay connected at a reduced speed.
    $99.99/month for 30GB of data. If you exceed that, you stay connected at a reduced speed.
    $149.99/month for 50GB of data. If you exceed that, you stay connected at a reduced speed.

Even if they paid for the 50GB plan, that is not a lot of data. I found this
    "Watching movies or TV shows on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video.”

So an HD movie could burn through about 6GB of data. That would be about 9 movies and the rest of the month you are doing everything at slow speed.

You aren't going to be able to boost the speed. That's determined by the ISP. You'll have to re-think what you do on the internet keeping in mind that you might be limited to a faster speed for 20GB, 30GB or 50GB. and after that is reached everything will be slow.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice