Wear and tear on a CD drive - life expectancy proportional to usage?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sauhund

Hello,
I have to use my mothers laptop to transfer mp3s from CDs to a mp3 player, now here is the problem, she thinks that using her CD player will shorten its life expectancy, I argue that they have brushless motors that dont wear out, she argues that the dust on the CDs (even if cleaned) will settle in the CD drive and cause it do malfunction.

I would really like to know from the experts now, how and if making use of a CD rom drive affect its life.

And while we are at it, she also doenst let me put much on the hardrive under the arguement that it slows the computer down, is that true? but even if, the computer would run fine after deleting what I put on, no?

I really would appriciate an expert answer on this as I simply cant argue from my point of knowlege.

cheers,

sauhund

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I think you're mother is a bit paranoid here. :) Unless you run the thing 24/7 for a looooooong time, it'll probably die of boredom before you kill it with use. :D

The only issue with data on the hard drive that's been deleted is you may have to defrag to restore the full performance.

sauhund

exactly thats what im telling her, but i need to have some kind of solid arguement, like "dr.prof.med. harvard yale found dust increases the life expectancy by 0.00001%"

another arguement she uses, we will be near the ocean, and she says the salt air will corrode the laptop, is there any truth in that?

cheers

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I think you should just give this one up. If you come up with valid reasons why these are not concerns, she'll just come up with new excuses. I think the message here is she doesn't want you to use her laptop. :D

sauhund

yes she doesnt, but it is essential that i can, i will be spending 4 month in morocco, can you imagine this without music???????????

she will listen to sensible arguements, she, as you said, is just a little paranoid, and she (nor i) have the appropriate knowlage.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online