Wear and tear!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

you2

Hey i was wondering what the long term affects of playing powerful games such as crysis far cry etc can have on your computer system. Does constantly playing games gradually wear out the system and make it slower and less powerful and can it even reduce the life of your pc? thanks in advance :) ps i have an alienware so before you say it depends if you have the right requirements.. i do :)

Any kind of usage wears the computer down. Leaving it be without using it wears it down. If your hardware overheats while gaming, then it will reduce the lifespan of the computer, otherwise the difference is too minimal to be worth worrying about.
If you'd like to monitor your temperatures while gaming, download HWMonitor by CPUID, install, let it run in the background while gaming, do a longer session (2 hours+, maybe) for testing purposes and see the max temps for your CPU and graphics cards during that. Your CPU should max somewhere around 50-60, graphics... 75 would be optimal... May go quite some higher as you have GTX280s...

Wear and tear is the same... games or not. life span for avg use computer is about 5~10 years (HDs most likely to fail - its has the fastest moving parts).

"Alienware" doesn't mean any thing. What, an Alienware from 1998, or low end model, a 2009 Quad core model?

crjdriver

First of all, you need to post your exact specs. Posting you have an alienware means next to nothing.

Telling the parts guy; "I have a Ford" does NOT mean I am going to get the correct water pump.

Next while your system will wear very slightly more when gaming due to the cpu going to full vcore and the increased wattage requirements from the video card, the increase is so insignificant as to make no real difference.

Your system will be obsolete long before it wears out.

From his computer spec box: "alienware m17x gtx 280 in sli, core 2 dua 2.8ghz 4gb ddr3 ram 320gb hard drive"
That's quite sufficient IMO.

Nothing really on the market that is going to "wear" that out.

Forget those ICONS are there... since so few people use them. (I do)

you2

Okay guys so you are saying if I played games with a worse system and played intensive games on that it would wear it out faster as it does not have as good parts such as graphics card processer etc etc..

crjdriver

It is so infinitesimal as to be irrelevant. As I posted, your system will be obsolete long before you wear it out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online