1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web access problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gene03063, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gene03063

gene03063 Thread Starter

Previously had three operable applications which accessed information from the web; Netscape, Eudora, and FlashGet. Now only Netscape can communicate with my ISP; Eudora gives an error message that it can't find the host address even though I am on line with Netscape and FlashGet just hangs. My computer is an HP6460 running Windows98 with a Rockwell Riptide modem. Any suggestions?

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

3. Dan O

Dan O

I would suspect your ISP changed some settings. Contact them or go to their web site and get the POP3 and SMTP addresses/URLs. Next open Eudora and goto the option menu to set them. As for FlashGet I recommend you uninstall and reinstall it.

4. gene03063

gene03063 Thread Starter

Thanks to Doyce and Dan O for the quick responses.
    Tried all your suggestions with no luck. I even setup OE for mail and get the error message: "The host could not be found, socket error 11001, error number 0x800cccod, Protocol POP3". Called my ISP help line and got verification of SMTP and POP addresses. Tried using same mail setup on my old Packard Bell running Windows95 with a Motorola modem and was able to use Eudora successfully. Any DLL files in Windows98 which might be corrupted?

5. Dan O

Dan O

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

7. Del

Del

Try to see if Netscape Messanger will get your email since you said Netscape was still working. So far, sounds like Netscape working ok, Edoura not working, and FlashGet not working.
    Do you have a Firewall or AntiVirus program running? Did you have a Firewall that you removed about the time this started?
    Del

8. gene03063

gene03063 Thread Starter

Downloaded and ran DUN14-98.exe but problem remains. Also ran SFC which identified three DLL files which were possibly corrupted; PCDLIB.DLL, PCWIZ.386, and SYSWIZ.386. Using HP recovery disc could only successfully download first two. Any suggestions on where I might find SYSWIZ.386? Also when I start Netscape an error window appears with message that it is configured for an external mail program but can't find POSTAL.DLL and will use Netscape Messenger instead. How do I supply configuration info to Messenger? Does it require a Netscape re-install?

9. beach51

beach51

Hi Gene03063,heres a site that might help with the postal.dll

postal.dllhome.att.net/~cherokee67/nspecerrpostaldll.html

10. Dan O

Dan O

gene03063,

Any progress on fixing your problem?

11. gene03063

gene03063 Thread Starter

I'm still struggling Dan-O. Only Netscape(4.08) seems to be able to access the web. Even when Netscape is not open and I attempt web access with any other application;Eudora,Internet Explorer,MarketBroser, etc. they still cannot access it. When they attempt access one of the screen icons on the toolbar blinks as if calling but the other screen icon never replies. Although reluctant to lose all web access, my next move will be to un-install Netscape. Syswiz.386 exists on my HP recovery disk but the Pkunzip on the disk gives an error message that it is an encrypted file and cannot extract it.

12. Del

Del

13. Del

Del

Try this:
    Go to Start > Programs > MSDosPrompt
    In the window it opens, type "ping 216.115.108.245" (without the quotes) and hit enter on the keyboard. You should get 4 lines back starting with Reply from and ping statistics says packets sent 4 , received 4.
    Then at the same prompt, type "ping yahoo.com" (again, without the quotes" and hit enter.
    See if you get "unknown host" or another set of 4 replys.
    Kinda sounds like FlashGet may have corrupted the winsock2 key in the registry, wsock32.dll or winsock.dll files.
    Del

14. gene03063

gene03063 Thread Starter

Del:
    Tried the two ping sequences you suggested with the following results. The four pings to the IP address you listed returned "transmit failed, error code 10050. Sent 4 Recd 0 Lost 4". The yahoo.com command returned "Unknown Host". Also I downloaded the Wsock32.dll and Winsock32.dll files from my HP recovery disc but problem remains. Next I uninstalled and re-installed Netscape; the only previous application which could talk to the net. Now it can't connect either. Lastly I downloaded all .dll files from the HP disk into Program Files also with no positive results. Any other files you can suggest which might be the culprit?

15. Del

Del

The only other thing I can think of that you may not have tried it to replace the winsock2 key in the registry. I'll send you the info on how to do this.

Please note if you are going to do this you must have installation cd or cab files.
    -Go to add and remove program | windows setup tab| take the check mark out of COMMUNICATION | click apply | when asked to reboot say no. -Click start | run | type regedit follow the path HKEY LOCAL MACHINES | system | current control set | services | winsock2 -Right clickl select delete. -Go to add remove programs | windows setup | put check in COMMUNICATIONS | when asked to reboot say yes, After rebooting try to browse.

Hope this will help,
    Del

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice