1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web application for screen sharing.

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by rhynes, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhynes

rhynes Thread Starter

Have a client with a big screen TV's in their dispatch office with computers hooked to them that displays a simple excel spreadsheet. That works fine.

They have 3 remote offices linked via VPN, and they need to be able to see this excel spreadsheet in real time, it's tracking company vehicles. It's nothing fancy, straight text with vehicle number and where they are going etc. One person changes the spreadsheet, but of course it won't refresh across the tunnel. I'd like to get away from excel.

Trying to find a web based utility, html or php, DB or not is fine. Something that every employee can change and refreshes either constantly or every 10 seconds or whatever. Can't seem to find anything. Any ideas?

2. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Hi rhynes:)
    One of our members - Thruska - has developed a BareBones CMS (Content Management System) which is well worth taking a look at for your project - I have used it for in-house applications and found it most useful. Should you go for it, Thruska wll undoubtedly help you through it's forum - which is where he has helped me immensely. It works perfectly on my local xampp server, as it should with your VPN, I'm sure.

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    As far as I know, no browser could take screenshots or anything of that form, so "screen sharing" wouldn't work with anything that could be called web design. Servers could; you can install pretty much anything on a server, but it may not be easy.

The ideal, depending on how complex the spreadsheet actually is, would probably be to rebuild it as something that could be transmitted as text and put together by the browsers (instead of transmitted as images or a video feed)

4. ckphilli

ckphilli

You might get away with something like teamviewer, but that's really a band-aid.

If you have any html/javascript tools you could spin something up with slickgrid with minimal disruption to training (it's very much spreadsheet friendly). Or jqwidgets, but you have to pay for that one. Basically, you would set up the db and write 2 pages. One for the editor and one for the viewer(s). Then serve it up and go.

But I've made a lot of assumptions here, like that you have a server and IIS.

You could also put the excel file on a share and just ensure the viewers refresh when they need to view.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice